True Blue Snakehead Advice

TheNewBreed83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2018
Good afternoon all,

I had a tropical tank many years ago, and I'm planning to get a tank again soon.

I have seen a couple of beautiful 'true blue' snakeheads at a local shop, but I only have space for a 100cm long 200L tank currently. I'm finding it hard to find much information about this species, but I'd imagine this won't be a sufficient tank to house one of them?
I also have concerns about having to increase/decrease water temperature at certain times of year, and how this would limit what could be kept with them.

Any advice anyone could give about these would be greatly appreciated.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I had a trio(not blues) in a 400L meta frame with a mirror back years ago when they were legal here. Loved those fish, very intelligent please post pics when you get your setup

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
Good afternoon all,

I had a tropical tank many years ago, and I'm planning to get a tank again soon.

I have seen a couple of beautiful 'true blue' snakeheads at a local shop, but I only have space for a 100cm long 200L tank currently. I'm finding it hard to find much information about this species, but I'd imagine this won't be a sufficient tank to house one of them?
I also have concerns about having to increase/decrease water temperature at certain times of year, and how this would limit what could be kept with them.

Any advice anyone could give about these would be greatly appreciated.
I would say the tank you have room for is the minimum size for a pair.

As for heating how warm is the room you’re going to put the tank in?

TheNewBreed83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2018
I would say the tank you have room for is the minimum size for a pair.

As for heating how warm is the room you’re going to put the tank in?
I'm not 100% sure what temperature the room is, I'm in the UK though so it can get cold and will need heating.

TheNewBreed83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2018
I went back into the shop today and they were both gone
I've had a look around online and it looks like it's going to be very difficult for me to find true blues again, so i think i may have to get something else instead unless i get lucky.

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
I went back into the shop today and they were both gone
I've had a look around online and it looks like it's going to be very difficult for me to find true blues again, so i think i may have to get something else instead unless i get lucky.
Some stores will be able to source them for you and get them in stock, if they had two already they will surely be able to do that?

If not ask on a snakekeeping group on Facebook, there are a few breeders on there an you’ll be able to pick them up for a fraction of the price

TheNewBreed83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2018
Afternoon all,

An update:
I now have a 115cm long 200L tank that I was given by a relative along with two common goldfish. I'm planning to rehome the goldfish into a pond as I understand they shouldn't really be kept in tanks, but they came with it when I was given it.

I've looked more into snakeheads and I think I'd like to get a pair of channa blehari as these seem to be best suited to my tank size and 'True Blue' seem to be hard to find.
I've read conflicting information on housing a pair of them. Some say you can only keep a pair if they're a mating pair, whereas others say you can keep a pair as long as there is sufficient cover/hiding places for them to avoid eachother.

I've also read that they can be kept with other fish that are more than 2/3 their size, but othes say they can't be kept with anything else?

What is your experience with regards to this?

I'd like to get a pair in the next month or so as soon as I can rehome the goldfish, so your advice would be appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store