True Brachyplatystoma vaillantii catfish, ~12", in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
True Brachyplatystoma vaillantii catfish, ~12", in 4500 gal, filmed Dec 2016. Great many thanks to Wesley Wong for bringing it in from Suriname. Got it Summer 2016 at ~7"-8". After it had added on a couple more inches in 240 gal, it went into a 4500 gal. In every tank it was, it was always intact and lacked even any slight damage to its fins, while other Brachyplatystoma, such as capapretum, platynemum, rosseauxii, in the same 240 gal with it bore some damage to the fins. I tentatively blame the vaillantii. In 4500 gal it appears to have relaxed a lot. It is still damage-free and still has two nice extensions on both caudal lobes, despite having a bunch of nipping tank mates. It really likes its cheap catfish farm pellets and was ~12" in Dec 2016. Now, in Mar 2017 it looks to have added another ~2".

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
I like the massive tanks, but the lack of any stone/DW/substrate that I see in them all the time just takes it all away for me. It's just a box with water and way too many fish. :(

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I understand the sentiment but I don't think one can generalize it like that. I've seen many large tanks with substrate and furniture. I just chose what I needed for my specific purposes. To each their own.

Vanammei

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
Nice collections,
would really like to see the whole tank pics! what do you feed them? Cant imagine how much to spend on feeding those fish daily, lol

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
I understand the sentiment but I don't think one can generalize it like that. I've seen many large tanks with substrate and furniture. I just chose what I needed for my specific purposes. To each their own.
I totally respect that. It's your tank and your money, you will do with it what you like. On a side note, I wouldn't want to gravel vac something that large anyways. :p

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I totally respect that. It's your tank and your money, you will do with it what you like. On a side note, I wouldn't want to gravel vac something that large anyways. :p
That's why you get Oxydoras and Auchenoglanis and Co - they will keep any substrate squeaky clean most of the time.

Nice collections,
would really like to see the whole tank pics! what do you feed them? Cant imagine how much to spend on feeding those fish daily, lol
You can find pics in the first two links in my signature. 50% is pellets (90% of which are catfish farm pellet and 10% are Hikari, NLS, etc.) and 50% thawed fish. $100 a month on pellets for all tanks and ponds. The fish I catch myself with a cast net.

I love this! Brachys rule :)
That they do. One of the reasons I call them Catfish Royalty.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
That's why you get Oxydoras and Auchenoglanis and Co - they will keep any substrate squeaky clean most of the time.
Those guys look really cool, but I'm after the mini-monster kitty fish. I don't have the space or funds for a home large enough for the big guys...as awesome as they are. I have a few questions that you may be able to answer. Mind if I PM you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store