True fish tank killer

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Depends on your idea of aggressive. Rhom is a downright killer but isnt really aggressive imo. If I added a cichlid to my old rhom tank he would back down to a fish 1/2 his size. Later the next day 8 would find said cichlid in half. Now my tilapia on the other hand wouldnt back down to any fight and is a relentless bug and would likely kill my old rhom by constant pestering. Both aggressive in their own ways.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
manny are the most active and colourful of all the piranha imo, forget the rhoms!-) a pair of butti will work in a tank that size, they do better in groups of 5 or alone to disperse aggression, breeding butti is not a good idea tho imho you will have nightmares shifting the fry and they breed like convicts ive heard!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
lol... manuelli piranha!-) finger chasing glass bangers, beautiful and rare and questionably the largest growing piranha in the wild... miss my old one that i lost, they are fragile and are for more experienced keepers so as long as your maintenance is up to scratch you will be fine! you could do a male dovii in that tank alone imo, common choice but will almost certainly be just as mean as a mangrove jack without the 4ft max size!! another option is flowerhorn pair or midas pair...
if you want predatory a pair of oscars would be hard to beat and great fun with a trio of fourlined pims and six silver dollars...

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Yup jacks are great but need large tanks, Nets or pvc dont work with mine :( its quite scary lol.

Butti I love too but.... my butti is a nut job nothing like a jack though, he will also never back down & is hard to clean his tank even grabs pvc pipes when I try push him away but he can be quite calm at times and when actually viewing him else his up to trouble playing with his " toys " he will just eye ball you right back. Still nut jobs though... one time I tested him with other fish and when he could not beat a fronnie in a lip lock he literally started vibrating like a nut job lol.

Now if I put a butti with the jack the same size I have no doubt the jack will shred them within a minute, I am yet to find another fish with the same strength, add the speed and brains on them and quickly you have one amazing fish. I believe you can get them in the states the issue would be timing as there breeding season is over so doubt there will be any juvies for sale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store