Trying new Nitrate product out Szat clear water

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
What is the resin? I'm curious if it will work but am a big skeptic towards "nitrate removers"

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Also why remove Nitrates when they are accumulating for a reason? If you could use something to lower nitrates or remove them would you not do wc's?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I do do water changes and I have an auto drip too as well as growing pothos. The resins are ion exchange resins.

My tap water comes out of the tap at 25ppm which is lower than many, I think the legal limit in the U.K. Is around 50ppm. I would like the resin to keep the nitrate from going above 30ppm between water changes (weekly)

Some people happily change water but do not even realise that their tap water is over 100ppm, I used to love in a place that had over 100ppm straight out of the tap; you can change as much as you like and it would not help unless you employed RO water and remade that up.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I do do water changes and I have an auto drip too as well as growing pothos. The resins are ion exchange resins.

My tap water comes out of the tap at 25ppm which is lower than many, I think the legal limit in the U.K. Is around 50ppm. I would like the resin to keep the nitrate from going above 30ppm between water changes (weekly)

Some people happily change water but do not even realise that their tap water is over 100ppm, I used to love in a place that had over 100ppm straight out of the tap; you can change as much as you like and it would not help unless you employed RO water and remade that up.
Oh I did not know you have nitrates in your tap! Here it's unheard-of

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
J Just Toby

Do you know how the resins linked to below are different from the resins in szat, api nitrazorb and other nitrate anion resins packaged for use in aquariums? At the first link which I think you're familiar with, 1liter is $17.75. At the 2nd link 5 liters of nitrate selective resin is $55.

Why not use these in the aquarium?

Just Toby said:
I was using a resin 20 yrs ago which was marketed under nitraghost and nitragon, that was packed in a 2 inch tube and could be used to fill the tank off the tap but we used a fluval 4 powerhead to push tank water through it, that would take a 200 gal tank down from 100ppm to 0 overnight but was a pain to keep recharging.
https://www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/acatalog/A-520-Nitrate-Resin---by-the-litre-7_0010__.html#SID=36

http://www.ebay.com/itm/resine-de-n...903937?hash=item283f130901:g:dmQAAOSw4GVYPtTZ

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Good question, I am not sure why you cannot use those in the aquarium. I spoke with Devotedly before about some other products and he felt they needed mains pressure to make the products work. I wonder if it is the action OR how you contain them within the aquarium as there are warnings on Devotedly site how to use to avoid it all ending up in the aquarium.

I have noticed that my Marble Motoro Ray has lightened up on her base and the water seems REALLY clear like a brand new tank, I will do some new Nitrate readings today.

Reactions: tarheel96

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
So, new test and we are at about 35ppm (best guess as between 25 and 50 on the test kit). I am now recharging for the second time.

End of the week will see a 25% water change so will be interesting to see if the downward trend continues. I am getting confident that I will sustain a lower nitrate with this product in the sump between water changes and seeing how easy it is to recharge I may double up to 4 bags.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Tested today and I am at 25ppm so happy with the results. I think I still may need more bags though. I may still look in to a resin on my supply water to put zero nitrate water in to the tank on the auto drip. 25ppm to 50ppm is a safe and happy level for me though.

Reactions: Mr Pleco

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I have spoken to Mark today at Devotedly discus and the resin they sell that goes in a vessel after the HMA filter on your source water sounds good. They say that you cannot put it in the sump to remove Nitrate as the biological action somehow ruins the resin. I think an 8 litre vessel full with 50 litre drip or slightly less will last 4 months before needing a recharge. It would be nice to know that I have zero nitrate going in to the tank on auto drip.

Reactions: tarheel96

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
My tap water comes out of the tap at 25ppm which is lower than many, I think the legal limit in the U.K. Is around 50ppm. Some people happily change water but do not even realise that their tap water is over 100ppm, I used to love in a place that had over 100ppm straight out of the tap; you can change as much as you like and it would not help unless you employed RO water and remade that up.
Yeah 50 ppm is the legal limit for Canada and Europe, 45 ppm here in the US. Over 100 ppm from the tap? Was that water from a well or from a treatment plant? Is your 25 ppm from a treatment plant?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store