Trying new Nitrate product out Szat clear water

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
The 100ppm was straight out the tap, we reported it and they claimed it was caused by local farmers fields "running off" and contaminating the supply water. It lasted like that for quite a few years though, then I moved and it was only trace levels on a normal test kit., I stupidly assumed it had remained at under 10ppm. The 25ppm is normal domestic tap water, I think all in the UK comes from treatment plants.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
The 100ppm was straight out the tap, we reported it and they claimed it was caused by local farmers fields "running off" and contaminating the supply water. It lasted like that for quite a few years though, then I moved and it was only trace levels on a normal test kit., I stupidly assumed it had remained at under 10ppm. The 25ppm is normal domestic tap water, I think all in the UK comes from treatment plants.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I have just ordered a resin vessel from devotedly discus in 10.5 litre size, this is 19 inches tall and 7 diameter on the base so will fit in the cabinet, this will have 10 litres of nitrate removing resin (also removes phosphate) and will sit in line after my HMA C (Heavy metal axe with chloramine remover) for the auto drip. I have worked out that I will probably only need to recharge this every 3 to 6 months. This should give me near ZERO nitrate water coming in to the tank on the auto drip so the only tap water source of nitrate will be when I do my large water changes as it would take too long to refil the tank using the drip even if I turned up the flow rate.

The total came to about £300 but that included 5 new HMA filter cartridges and you could save a lot of money with a smaller vessel and a lot less nitrate resin and just recharge more frequently, If I can do it only every 6 months I will be very happy.

Reactions: tarheel96

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
The devotedly discus order arrived today so I plumbed in the resin vessel after new HMA cartridges, I tested the water coming out of the auto drip and it was zero on my nitrate test kit, not even the slightest colour. I will test the auto drip and tank daily to see what the level comes down to.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I have 100 gallon sump that is drilled direct to waste for overflow so it is always full to the brim using an auto drip. The sump has k5 in first chamber moving by water flow then the next has 5 sheets of various grade pond mats, then ceramics and bagged carbon and szat. The filter is very efficient and I have no ammonia or nitrite hence the nitrate making machine that a 2ft ray produces. My ray and fire eel eat A LOT so this means big waste by product.

I just tested my tap water again and it is zero today so that has gone from 25ppm to nil in 2 weeks so I suspect it varies a lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store