Trying to decide on eel (M. dayi vs M. ellipsifer vs M. moorii)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
What did you end up getting?

BTW, thanks for pointing me to the cichla section re: transitioning to pellets. I've always had luck just soaking them in bw juice (with some tough love) but this is a different way for a fish that might be more stubborn. Nice to have in the bag of tricks!

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
I have 3 Dayi in a 125g and have 0 aggression issues, they’re actually my favorite and most active eels right now. As long as they have places to hide and their own little territories, they don’t even acknowledge one another, just swim right by.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
What did you end up getting?

BTW, thanks for pointing me to the cichla section re: transitioning to pellets. I've always had luck just soaking them in bw juice (with some tough love) but this is a different way for a fish that might be more stubborn. Nice to have in the bag of tricks!
No problem! it's been my go to method for stubborn fishies.

I was going to get a ellipsifer and moorii but turns out they didn't have them, they were just supposed to arrive with the next shipment, which was delayed by the blizzard. And then they didn't even arrive. So I wound up rescuing a 6" senegal from a 55 gallon, and then buying a baby ropefish and giant bamboo shrimp. :p

My thought process being: the tank is happy and balanced now. I don't want to get a mature fish, even though it REALLY needs a good home, which may throw off the balance and "zen" of the tank. I'd rather get a younger, smaller fish that can grow with the others and learn to get along with everyone calmer rather than get one that's twice the size of everyone that would be fighting for dominance for months. Maybe I'll change my mind the next time I see the dayi again... I debate it really bad every time I see him....

S Supalah17 you make a good point though. I don't have a lot of caves and hides perse. Just a lot of cover. So I don't think the tank is really ready for a full grown, or multiple, dayi eels

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
No problem! it's been my go to method for stubborn fishies.

I was going to get a ellipsifer and moorii but turns out they didn't have them, they were just supposed to arrive with the next shipment, which was delayed by the blizzard. And then they didn't even arrive. So I wound up rescuing a 6" senegal from a 55 gallon, and then buying a baby ropefish and giant bamboo shrimp. :p

My thought process being: the tank is happy and balanced now. I don't want to get a mature fish, even though it REALLY needs a good home, which may throw off the balance and "zen" of the tank. I'd rather get a younger, smaller fish that can grow with the others and learn to get along with everyone calmer rather than get one that's twice the size of everyone that would be fighting for dominance for months. Maybe I'll change my mind the next time I see the dayi again... I debate it really bad every time I see him....

S Supalah17 you make a good point though. I don't have a lot of caves and hides perse. Just a lot of cover. So I don't think the tank is really ready for a full grown, or multiple, dayi eels
Definitely smart there! Peacock eels are really chill in big groups and I’ve never really had any aggression from them. But if you ever want a Dayi, you definitely want the tank very settled and for them to be some of the first additions so they can form territories and get comfy eating (the hardest part of new spiny eels) without any real competition!

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Well of course I support adding polys Hahaha...

But an M. Dayi is high on my "someday" list. They're gorgeous and not supposed to be as reclusive as some of the other medium spinys.

Reactions: Supalah17

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Well of course I support adding polys Hahaha...

But an M. Dayi is high on my "someday" list. They're gorgeous and not supposed to be as reclusive as some of the other medium spinys.
Mine are always active, as long as you don’t have intense lighting, and some dithers to relieve stress, and places for them to hide if needed, they’re almost always out, Day and night!

Reactions: magpie

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
So....I swung by the LFS that had the eels. He actually got them in. The moorii were honestly pretty boring looking, maybe stressed, and small (4-5"). But the elipsifer....Well...

20180217_194943.jpg 20180217_222612.jpg 20180217_223520.jpg 20180217_223647.jpg

Yeah I got one. 9"+. Perfect size. And it even just went face to face with the longfin (the most aggressive) and they sniffed each other and then both just moved along without a care.

Now to start the arduous process of getting him on to pellets :)

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store