Trying to get a Bichir from Canada to the US. Help?

JesseJamez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2011
California
Hi there,

I have a Bichir setup going with 2 Teugelsi, 1 baby Ornate and 1 Delhezi. I am trying to get a particular species of Buettikoferi nicknamed the “Gold Dust Bichir”. Currently my setup is only upper jaw species. Unfortunately there are no local stores that have it in stock. I live in California. However, there is a store in Canada, and a store in the UK that carries them. I haven’t been able to convince either store to bother shipping one to me. I’m not really concerned about cost, I just want the fish, but I understand policy.

What should I do? Can anyone out there help in some way?

C3A74248-3D93-4D77-B1E7-66D5C3823D58.png

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If you can wait you’ll be able to get one from here, just have to wait for them to get them in stock.

Typically this place has them under oddballs but for some reason it’s saying they have literally nothing under that topic...

JesseJamez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2011
California
If you can wait you’ll be able to get one from here, just have to wait for them to get them in stock.

Typically this place has them under oddballs but for some reason it’s saying they have literally nothing under that topic...
Thanks for that. I have seen aquaimports and I am subscribed to be notified but it's been awhile. I wasn't aware of the second site. I'll watch that, too.

JesseJamez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2011
California

Hey, by the way you might want to try clearing your cache or trying a different browser. I am able to expand the Oddballs category. It shows they have Ansorgii, Endlicheri, Senegalus and albino Senegalus.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Thanks for that. I have seen aquaimports and I am subscribed to be notified but it's been awhile. I wasn't aware of the second site. I'll watch that, too.
Give it some time and the bichir people will come through and tell you where you can find them. I believe toyin at Rehoboth aquatics might have some? I don’t know as I don’t pay attention to him. Exoticfishshop *might* have some however they are often misidentified I got a gold dust labeled as a retropinis.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Hey, by the way you might want to try clearing your cache or trying a different browser. I am able to expand the Oddballs category. It shows they have Ansorgii, Endlicheri, Senegalus and albino Senegalus.
Ahh, I cleared my history and that did it, not sure what made it happen but it fixed it. Thanks bud.

Reactions: JesseJamez

JesseJamez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2011
California
Give it some time and the bichir people will come through and tell you where you can find them. I believe toyin at Rehoboth aquatics might have some? I don’t know as I don’t pay attention to him. Exoticfishshop *might* have some however they are often misidentified I got a gold dust labeled as a retropinis.
It has been extremely challenging to find the one I’m looking for. Specifically, this one comes out of the Senegal river. Wharf Aquatics in the UK have it, and Aquarists Across Canada have it. It is detailed in “The Bichir Handbook”. Here is a link you may find an interesting read. The info I’m talking about is detailed at the bottom if you want to skip the details.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Wetspot and Toyin from Reheboth Aquatics typically import wild bichirs late summer/fall time frame

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
was that recently? Saw he had Retropinnis then 3 weeks later he had some labeled as “True” green retros.. that bs pisses me off, there’s only 1 retro. I got a “gold” Kelberi from him too that’s just a Ocell too.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
If you cant find a gold dust, you can get a alternative like palmas palmas, i know someone selling them in cali. Actually he might also have gold dust coming this week.

Reactions: JesseJamez
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store