Trying to sex my electric blue

Tegantnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2020
Struggling to find out what sex my electric blue is. Maybe to young to tell but I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can help out.

Kind of difficult to catch a picture hahaha

15911670149693259018394918610649.jpg

15911672649632564300292867161915.jpg

15911673645133492962007005166896.jpg

Tegantnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2020
Male. Not really suitable with Oscars, what are your other types of cichlids?
Mbuna blue. He's quite the territorial kind. My Oscars are only babies at the moment.

Made more hiding spaces in the mbuna tank the one the electric blue is in. But he is still hiding in the corner at the back. It's so freaking sad.

Tank one has, Oscars x 3. Silver dollars x 4, red jewels x 2 and loaches x 2.

Tank two has mbuna x 1 electric yellow x 2 and the new electric blue. Mbuna gets along with electric yellows. So I don't see why he wouldn't like a blue one.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I’m going to assume you don’t have a 200g+ tank for the oscars and silver dollars, so I’d say whatever size tank they are in is fully stocked.

the suitable tank for him would be the African tank. If he’s just hiding in the corner it could be bc you added one fish into other fish’s territory and he’s the outcast. New Africans do best when added In Groups.

the best thing you can do right now would be to catch all the fish, place them in a separate holding tank/bin and start re-scaling your tank....I don’t mean moving one or two rocks and a piece of wood, I mean take everything out and think about a good different re-scape design....line sight breaks, hidy holes, resting areas. Then reintroduce all the fish at the same time, this will make them think they are in a new home and they will have to steal out new territories.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Mbuna blue. He's quite the territorial kind. My Oscars are only babies at the moment.

Made more hiding spaces in the mbuna tank the one the electric blue is in. But he is still hiding in the corner at the back. It's so freaking sad.

Tank one has, Oscars x 3. Silver dollars x 4, red jewels x 2 and loaches x 2.

Tank two has mbuna x 1 electric yellow x 2 and the new electric blue. Mbuna gets along with electric yellows. So I don't see why he wouldn't like a blue one.
He probably sees it as a competition for females/territory. Honestly ya won't be able to stop the top male from picking on the lesser male. Even in nature there will always be 1 top male out of the whole group that will pick on the smaller males to keep them in line and prevent them from breeding with his females. It's instinct at work, "I'm the bigger male, I get all the females and I must bully the smaller males to keep em from breeding with my females and to keep my place as the top male".

I agree with everyone else tho, don't add the African with the Oscars, the Oscars will grow far bigger and faster and will eventually try to eat him. A good rule of thumb for most fishermen is that a fish will eat anything upto ⅔s its own body length. I'd say the same goes for most pet fish too. Even if it's well fed it will still try to eat as much as possible because in their mind they don't know when they will eat next.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I’m going to assume you don’t have a 200g+ tank for the oscars and silver dollars, so I’d say whatever size tank they are in is fully stocked.

the suitable tank for him would be the African tank. If he’s just hiding in the corner it could be bc you added one fish into other fish’s territory and he’s the outcast. New Africans do best when added In Groups.

the best thing you can do right now would be to catch all the fish, place them in a separate holding tank/bin and start re-scaling your tank....I don’t mean moving one or two rocks and a piece of wood, I mean take everything out and think about a good different re-scape design....line sight breaks, hidy holes, resting areas. Then reintroduce all the fish at the same time, this will make them think they are in a new home and they will have to steal out new territories.
Good point, good point. Nobody can lay claim to everything right away if they are all thrown into a new environment. Another thing I've also heard/experienced is that with Africans it's honestly better to overstock then understock. With an overstocked tank nobody can claim anything because there's always somebody else in their space, while in an understocked tank a single fish can lay claim to a certain amount of territory because it can chase all the other fish to a different location.

Africans are mean fish but they are mean for good reasons.

Reactions: Tegantnt

Tegantnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2020

That's a great idea. Thanks.

Tegantnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2020
Good point, good point. Nobody can lay claim to everything right away if they are all thrown into a new environment. Another thing I've also heard/experienced is that with Africans it's honestly better to overstock then understock. With an overstocked tank nobody can claim anything because there's always somebody else in their space, while in an understocked tank a single fish can lay claim to a certain amount of territory because it can chase all the other fish to a different location.

Africans are mean fish but they are mean for good reasons.
I have roughly 100 g tank for the Oscars and dollars... I know a little small. But I used to have a smaller one for two and they paired fine.

About 80 g for the cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store