Trying to sex my electric blue

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I have roughly 100 g tank for the Oscars and dollars... I know a little small. But I used to have a smaller one for two and they paired fine.

About 80 g for the cichlids.
I would still got upto a 150g at the least if ya plan on keeping all the Oscars and SD's. Those Oscars will get big, atleast 16-18in big. That and they take HUGE dumps, mine used to leave almost small dog/cat sized turds in the tank even at only 8in so just imagine what it'll be like when fully grown. That and then add in the extra bioload from all the SD's. With a 100g I would imagine almost bidaily-daily waterchanges just to keep the tank clean. Even with a 150g like I mentioned would still be a twice a week waterchanges just to keep the water clean.

Not trying to sound mean here, just trying to help out as much as I can.

Tegantnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2020
No u don't sound mean. Thanks for the advice.

I did a full change of scenery and took them out then put them all back in at the same time. Mbuna was confused. But now the blue is at the bottom claiming a spot and fingers crossed. ?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
No u don't sound mean. Thanks for the advice.

I did a full change of scenery and took them out then put them all back in at the same time. Mbuna was confused. But now the blue is at the bottom claiming a spot and fingers crossed. ?
Well hopefully everything ends up alright and that they can form some sort of peace between eachother. I'd definitely add a handful more Africans to that tank tho, it should definitely help reduce the amount of infighting. Just be careful not to add a predator hap to the tank otherwise you could just as well kiss all them mbuna good bye lol.

Reactions: Tegantnt

Tegantnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2020
Well hopefully everything ends up alright and that they can form some sort of peace between eachother. I'd definitely add a handful more Africans to that tank tho, it should definitely help reduce the amount of infighting. Just be careful not to add a predator hap to the tank otherwise you could just as well kiss all them mbuna good bye lol.
A predator hap? What's a hap. I only barely know the colours of the fish I own right now. Oscars are as far as IV ever gone before until now. Never even ever had two tanks before. Hahah

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
A predator hap? What's a hap. I only barely know the colours of the fish I own right now. Oscars are as far as IV ever gone before until now. Never even ever had two tanks before. Hahah
Hap is just short for haplochromis if I'm remembering correctly. It's another African cichlid but they eat other Africans. Think of bass and bluegill here in the US, both are in the same family but bass eat bluegill as part of their main diet. Got this pic of a malawi hawk from Google. Gorgeous fish but very aggressive feeders.

Malawi_Hawk-2_65caa72f-13d9-4686-a0a7-0b6b07f63ba1_1024x1024.jpg

Tegantnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2020
Hap is just short for haplochromis if I'm remembering correctly. It's another African cichlid but they eat other Africans. Think of bass and bluegill here in the US, both are in the same family but bass eat bluegill as part of their main diet. Got this pic of a malawi hawk from Google. Gorgeous fish but very aggressive feeders.

View attachment 1420598
Okay, that's what I have in with the mbuna and baby yellow electrics ? Yikes. He (blue electric hap) seems a little mellow though. What have I done.

Just googled it. Omg.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Okay, that's what I have in with the mbuna and baby yellow electrics ? Yikes. He (blue electric hap) seems a little mellow though. What have I done.

Just googled it. Omg.
Lol ya should have to worry about it just yet. A fish won't eat anything unless it's ⅔s its own size. I've also seen ppl keep predator haps in with their other Africans but fine as long as it was raised with em at a young age. Just keep and eye on him as he grows up.

Tegantnt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2020
Lol ya should have to worry about it just yet. A fish won't eat anything unless it's ⅔s its own size. I've also seen ppl keep predator haps in with their other Africans but fine as long as it was raised with em at a young age. Just keep and eye on him as he grows up.
Oh I will be now. Thanks. For the worry and the information hahaha

There all reasonably young. Not adults yet. So my fingers will be crossed.

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
The electric blue can reach 18cm and should become more dominant as it grows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store