TSNxLei, I think. Could it be P. corruscans?

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Back to 2010-2011. Our very first TSN x Leiarius (TSN x achara, TSN x marmoratus, TSN x marbled pim) hybrid. A rescue, 1.5'. Named Amigo.

Amigo.JPGGus 2.JPG

Oct 2018:

Video update on our TSNxLei, feeding included:

Last update on our 8 year old TSNxLei hybrid.

It had been doing so well recently, feeding vigorously and actively on pellets and even going after thawed fish, which is rare for it.

Two weeks ago the fish stopped it. A few days back I understood why. It must have got very ill and stayed to the back of the 4500 gal so I didn't see it until the end.

The skin inlays on the gill covers and the skin on the jaws inside and out was getting eaten away with what looks like a flesh eating bacteria but this was probably a secondary or a tertiary consequence. The redness of the dorsal fin and some swelling points out to the primary cause as perhaps the columnaris I have been having problems with for half a year now.

The fins were half eaten by the ever opportunistic pacu after the hybrid died and laid upside down on the drain, as well as a few test bites on its back from RTCs occurred at the same time.

Eight years. 31". It hasn't added any significant length or girth in the last 4 years.

That was our only specimen. If I come across them at the right time, I think I will get several and try again.

100_8258.JPG 100_8259.JPG 100_8260.JPG 100_8261.JPG 100_8262.JPG 100_8263.JPG 100_8264.JPG

Dec 2020:

I believe I've found a rare case of confusion of a TSN x RTC hybrid for corruscans, allegedly at Berlin Aquarium, per this thread: https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=49684&p=328404#p328404

Here is the soon-to-be-former image #8 in the corruscans entry in Cat-eLog, which I believe is the TSN x RTC hybrid, followed by some true corruscans pics, including one of Dazza's ( dazzapolypterusweeksii dazzapolypterusweeksii would you consider donating this or other images of your specimen to Cat-eLog?)

7.jpgTSN corruscans Dazza.jpgTSN corruscans web 1 gif.gifTSN corruscans web 2.jpgTSN corruscans web 3.jpgTSN corruscans web 4.jpgTSN corruscans web.jpg

Back to Dec 2013: title question. I know what the big true corruscans look like, but not little ones...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201002680318

Can anyone confirm or dispel that this is Pseudoplatystoma corruscans ? http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=778

I am thinking no way, it is just a TSNxLei hybrid, but I would be super-excited to be wrong!

$_57.jpg

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Has anyone seen even a pic of a reliably ID'ed young/baby/juvi corruscans and can point us to it? I have not.

I have seen plenty of TSNxLei looking exceedingly close to that.

How about: not just corruscans but any TSN? I am pretty sure no one has ever seen a fish like that, which has been reliably ID'ed a TSN, any TSN.

Why am I sure it is the TSNxLei hybrid? Well, for one, here are the cats that Snookn21 brings over yearly (from here http://www.freshwatertropicalfishonline.com/catfish.php) snookns hybrids.JPG

Never mind what Snookn21 labels them (clearly wrong). I got one of those and still have it. It grew into what all these hybrids look like: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=4430 In fact the top shot is that of him at ~1'. He is now ~2'.

snookns hybrids.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: KingLou

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I can say for certain that if they are comming from SA and not asia the hybrids are by product of the hybrid catfish farms. I have been in contact with one farm that sells Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum x Leiarius marmoratus hybrids exclussively. I had pictures of the fish from their farm somewhere but after severe computer issues over the last two years i have lost all my reference pics. I also had pics of supposed corruscans babies that looked nothing like what is on the ebay ad. They were more elongate and slender with more narrow head and smaller spots and lighter coloration. I wish i still had those reference pics because they were very clear. I cant say for certain but i believe it is just a pseudo x lei

That being said ive seen all kinds of mislabeled catfish all over the place like planniceps being sold as hybrids ect

After looking at that pic again it could just be the lighting and angle of the fish throwing me off here. The fish is turned which makes it appear shorter

Also i have owned this hybrid personally and have its skeleton currently. I received it at 18" though and can not comment on what it looked like when younger.

This one is very confusing but the camera angles are different so hard to compare. This is a pic that looks like the other one i had. Picture that is of corruscans. uploadfromtaptalk1387069972856.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Last edited:

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
That one for sure is a hybrid and with the angle close to the ebay one they are nearly identical except the ebay specimen is more slender. Lol at their name for the tsn x rtc hybrid.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks so much!!

It only confirms my analysis for me. No confusion at all on my part. Are you the seller?

Edit: never mind. The seller emailed me saying you are one of his customers.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Scotcat's listing for a juvie corruscans.

uploadfromtaptalk1387077641887.jpg

Brazillian fishkeeping site has this as juvie corruscans

uploadfromtaptalk1387078380302.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store