Two Distichodus lusosso, ~15", ~2 years old, in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Two very special fish (sexfasciatus and lusosso). I would like to know about their life in the wild as I have never heard about them. Although they are big for their type I wonder how are they able to survive as smaller members of this awesome (and to me frightening) community of fish. I honestly would never have thought it possible to keep them together like you do. The video gave clues as they seem to have good speed when others get too close. Plus I know they can be nasty themselves so its good that they are fitting in, for now! Unfortunately we know there is always another issue coming along! Many thanks Viktor I appreciate your amazing videos and you sharing so much.
Thank you greatly for your attention and generous marks for our humble efforts. I too would have liked to know more on their biology in the wild. I've never found time yet to read up on this. The jumbo 4500 gal community is frightening :) I think it's a fair description. Distichodus are smart and assertive themselves plus I know a bit from experience that they can be fine in there provided the paroons are not allowed to get too hungry, because the paroons killed a 2ft sexfasciatus in this tank about 5-6 years ago, before I knew better. Couldn't eat it of course, just stressed to death. Sexi is smaller than that 2ft was though. Also, one time Sexi freaked out as I was catching a fish in the tank, darted and got too close to the jau mouth, who out of the blue grabbed Sexi by the head. The jau let go after I pushed him with a stick. This never happened before nor after so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store