Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Fifteen month update on the surviving lusosso.

After a year or longer together, it had decided enough's enough and it was time to start killing the purple labeo, so the labeo had to be taken out and placed into a different tank. This activity has bestowed on lusosso the jerk #1 title and dropped the labeo to spot #2 in the charts and since then, for about a year now, the lusosso has been the only large fish in the jerk tank and no big problems have been noted since then.

It grew significantly, right now being around 2'.

Recently I had to rehome a 5" Insicilabeo behri to the jerk tank. For the first several days it had been no problem. Then suddenly the lusosso had small damage right on the very top, before dorsal - scales were damaged. This appears to be the favorite spot of attack by the behri, who has done the same but to different fish in its prior tank.

IDK who challenged who but behri is so much smaller and hence far more agile than the huge lusosso in a relatively small (for it) tank, that it couldn't do anything about it. The damage hasn't grown after an initial altercation and largely healed up now and everything seems stable.

This feeding video was shot before the behri was introduced:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I had to take the purple labeo out of its 240 gal because it had started bothering the dorado catfish but I had nowhere else to place it... so I decided to move the lusosso from the jerk tank to one of the 4500 gal with the RTC, pacu, and Co. and place the labeo back in the jerk tank.

The lusosso has reached about 2' in that 240 gal and it felt good to give it much more room to swim in the 4500 gal, albeit it was risky because I didn't know how the big catfish and pacu take to it.

It has now been a few weeks after the move and so far so good, except the lusosso, having come to its senses after the move, now chases one smaller pacu, ~18", a recent rescue awaiting its forever home being built. Yet, the pacu easily avoids it, feeds well, behaves normal. I've not seen the lusosso to bother or even approach any other tank mate. Nor do other bother it from what I could see but the lusosso's fins feature some rips and tatter, so something happens when I am not looking.

Here is a video about the reshuffle and the experience-based rating of our three worst tank mate fishes:

Reactions: Iamfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A great post from FJB on lusosso + tank mates: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...orinus-in-4500-gal.680047/page-3#post-8368546

I used to have one largish (8-9" ?) banded Leporinus, and in the same tank there was a similar size stripped Leporinus (L. cf arcus), a green severum, a Distichodus lussuoso, and 2 headstanders: a stripped (Anostomus anostomus), and a marbled (Abramites hypselonotus). So everybody was SAmerican except for the African Distichodus. Tank was a 150g.
Most fish in there are what one normally considers 'jerks' and each adhered well to that motto. However, together they seemed not to bother too much each other, and no deaths or serious injury (not even much fin injuries) occurred over several years. The boss (read, the meanest) was the Distichodus lussuoso. However, the ones who won everything in that they could bother others but not be bothered themselves were the two headstanders. They are just too fast and snicky. The Leporinus arcus and the severum were the chillest.
I don't recommend recreating this ill-structured community. However, it developed over time because I either inherited mean fish others didn't want, or I made not-clever purchases of little babies who grew to monsters. But I enjoyed it and they became a sort of stable unnatural community.
The genus Leporinus contains many species and although most are omnivorous and hence eat anything available, most species have a strong preference and need for plant material of various types (seeds, leaves, roots, fruit). But they have no qualms about eating animal protein (insects, crustaceans, worms, fish).
Beautiful fish, not the easiest to keep.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Lusy goes back to her 4500 gal after a 5-month fast solo in a 240 gal, having lost some weight but nearly enough.

Sexy, the 7 years old, 20", male Distichodus sexfasciatus, decides to kill her in the minute he is transferred back into the 4500 gal (from a timeout for biting a caulking job), so out he goes.

Reactions: Milingu and justarn

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
That Paroon pair looks intimidating ?

Pacu swimming around with a herring like it was smoking a cigar ?

Good to see the big boy feeding well and his tail seems better ?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store