Two Marble Pim catfish, male ~24", female ~28", in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Flashback from 2010-2011. Our first ever marbled pim rescue, 2', named Cyclops (one eyed), in 4000 gal basement pond 40'x6'x3' (bad lighting):

Cyclop 1.JPGCyclop 2.JPGCyclop 3.JPGCyclop 4.JPGgroup 4 (2).JPGgroup 7.JPG

A little guy we bought and raised:

Leiarius marmoratus, Mr Marbles 6-15-13 - 1.JPGLeiarius marmoratus, Mr Marbles 6-15-13 - 2.JPGLeiarius marmoratus, Mr Marbles 6-15-13 - 4.JPGLeiarius marmoratus, Mr Marbles 6-15-13 - 5.JPGLeiarius marmoratus, Mr Marbles 6-15-13 - 6.JPG

Back to 2017. We currently house 3 rescued adult Marbled Pim catfish aka Leiarius marmoratus and two of them are featured in the following video. A lot is known about them so I'll try to only mention anything noteworthy about ours.

The male (from Ft. Myers, FL) is thinner and is about 24" and is by far, like 1000x more active than the two females (I only go by their girth to sex them, having not tried anything else). He is first in the video.

Second at the end of the short footage is an ~28" female that we got about 4 years ago. She is an example that... well... things happen. I got her from a prior owner (in Sarasota, FL) out of a 4'x4'x2' rubber liner pond where it grew to ~2' along side a bunch of clown loaches and other small fish. She looked good though.

She's done well in our ponds too for a couple of years and for a year she's been fine in one of our 4500 gal. Then one day I noticed she's losing one eye, probably having got poked in it. Well, unfortunate but it is fathomable. Then some months later she broke her snout and not just at the end but the bone plate broke right about in between her eyes. I've no idea how or why it happened. She healed up apparently ok but the snout now... well, you can see for yourself, it's like a snow plow.

You try your best but sometimes things completely unpredictable happen. I still am clueless as to what happened. During that period of several months she was relatively active or might be even restless. She's been sedentary, calm before and after that period.

A third one is also ~30" (also from Ft. Myers), is sedentary, and came from a tank that was fed feeder fish sometimes, so I didn't risk placing it in the "peaceful" community. It went into the other 4500 gal with all the "street toughs" where it's been faring ok. In general, these catfish are utterly non-predatory, preferring very strongly pellets to thawed fish. Mine lived for many years along side 3" koi and other easy would-be snacks but never touched them.

A few pics from 2015-2017:

Leiarius marmoratus Fall 2015.JPGLeiarius marmoratus Feb 2015  1.JPGLeiarius marmoratus Feb 2015  3.JPG

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Here's some info for sexing victor. If you don't mine me sharing it.

Top picture male genetails
Bottom picture is the female.

Great looking cats as always.

(Pictures from planet catfish)

IMG_4378.JPG

IMG_4379.JPG

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
That is a whole lot of stocked fish in a massive tank, that is also a heavy bio load, what sort of filtering and water change do you do?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That is a whole lot of stocked fish in a massive tank, that is also a heavy bio load, what sort of filtering and water change do you do?
Agree with your thought.

Tank's 4500 US gal.
Sump is 15,000 US gal. Yes, 15,000 gal.
Flow is 20,000 GPH.
Water change 100% every 3 days. Continuous.

Reactions: moe214 and Rpul

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Lost the male, the slender and smaller one to apparently natural causes. Will post photos later.

For now the two remaining:

1:50-2:05 min - the one rescued in 2012, 8 years ago, that broke its head / snout twice.
13:10-13:30 min - the one we got from Sean Dekker in 2015.

Reactions: Iamfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The 30"+ female with a broken skull continues to be darty and skittish, still bolts around the tank once in a while and hits the walls. The angle where the skull is broken keeps increasing, approaching 90 degrees now. IDK why she does it. She also has now only one maxillary barbel.

The other female also over 30" is as expected, nice and calm. Both feed well.

The promised closure on the male. It too broke its skull in roughly the same spot as the female discussed above, just not as bad. Look at the photos - the top of the cranial shield and skull used to be a straight line, now broken in one spot a bit past the eye. Passed seemingly peacefully, no illness noted, perhaps naturally. About 26" and 8 years old. Passed overnight and unexpectedly, so in the morning I found it chewed up by the vulture catfish 5-pack pretty bad. Warning.

100_9467.JPG100_9470.JPG100_9472.JPG100_9473.JPG100_9471.JPG

This is how straight it should be - our first female before breaking its skull:

Leiarius marmoratus Feb 2015  2.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Three new marmoratus 2nd-degree rescues, about 2ft each, from Randy, our fellow rescuer from Fort Myers, FL. Took it hard the first day after the potassium permanganate bath, the next day calmed down a lot. Now seem fine, feed well, except one is still sitting on the back wall in the corner, doesn't want to come down on the bottom. IDK why. The other two sit on the bottom here and there, just fine and dandy.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The current 5 marbled pims have been doing well. The three new ones have accustomed well. Two almost right away. One of them sat on a vertical wall for a couple of months, clearly was the least comfortable, but then came down and now all are happy, shoving down 8" herring or two or three if lucky almost every feeding, and loving NLS giant pellets too.

After 3 months from the arrival of Randy's fish we started to have a problem with anchor worms, which I associate with the new fish, so I had to administer about 5 doses of Dimilin X. Right seems clear but will continue looking for the signs of the worms (they are not worms though but parasitic crustaceans).

Digression. The following is a story from my friend worth documenting for posterity, unrelated to anything we are currently discussing. My friend is one of the most meticulous, perfectionist fish keepers I've ever known.

"... About 10 yrs ago I had a Marmoratus get swim bladder issues. Despite being alone in a 360 gal with optimal water parameters and fed exclusively Hikari massivore. I had a mobile fish vet come over he gave the fish an intramuscular dose of an antibiotic. He did a mobile X-ray which I think revealed one side of the bladder was deflated. The fish had to be euthanized anyway."

Reactions: Fishman Dave

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
In general, these catfish are utterly non-predatory, preferring very strongly pellets to thawed fish.
Wow! ?
I'm assuming that has changed since you mentioned they ate herring, but it's still a shocker.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store