Two Marble Pim catfish, male ~24", female ~28", in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes, when I don't offer enough pellets to fill up, they have no problem to start including fish.

The quintet of the marbles has been doing well:

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Two Peru piraiba attack two marbled pim catfish. Despite good feeding, they must want more...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I made another mistake. Turns out apurensis is nasty to tank mates in small tanks now. Many years ago at smaller size and age it shared a tank with a Distichodus sexfasciatus for a year just fine. But overall, yes, having kept it in large tanks lately, I forgot that they can be and usually are aggressive to most tank mates in smaller tanks:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Right. At the moment, no better combination of tanks and fish in them comes to mind. The 120 gal QT filled to half, where the marbled pim has gone to... JellO I imagine would attempt to dismantle the tank itself because the whole tank is of the hidey hole size for her... The attacks on the hybrid and pleco have been minimal / tolerable so far, hence we are still trying this combo.

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
You made the right decision by putting the marble pim in QT by herself. Too much prolonged stress is definitely not a good thing. Keeping her in the 120 will be easier for you to maintain good water quality which is obviously necessary at this time.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A related occurrence:

One or both Peru piraiba in the 4500 gal tank attacked Big Bad, the dovii. When I discovered it in the morning, it was too late. The dovii went into a shock and never came out of it. Ever since they attacked a marble Pim catfish two weeks ago, I started feeding them 2x more... but obviously still not enough, or maybe it's the season to gorge up on food. Fish go through such seasons.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Greta the TSNxRTC hybrid catfish has been caught bumping and chasing several marbled pim catfish for no apparent reason:

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Good to see that she is active and feeding again. Looks to have a few splits in tail/fins so maybe just getting her own back on whomever she feels she can or whomever will take it. Very similar to how the black shark operates, if you swim off I’ll chase but if you don’t your no fun and loses interest. Could be boredom I suppose.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Justina the marbled pim ripped up by piraiba first and then by an apurensis catfish has been recovering for a month and introduced back into her 4500 gal where she had lived 7 years prior:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store