Udon, Soba, and the Noodles

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Yeah, I've been such a slacker. Ziti is definitely growing, will have to get a measurement on her. Will work on pics or a video this week.

Reactions: clm08k

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Well it's long overdue, so I figured I'd post some pics for you guys. They're not great but it's still fun to document everyone.

Current lengths:
Ropes 12" (I only measured one but they're all about the same ballpark)
Delhezi 10" - slowed way down in growth after about 9".
Teug 8.5" - maintaining regular growth
Moke 8ish" (She was bent so couldn't get an exact)
Polli 8"

My female rope is the thickest.
Rope.jpg

Udon the Del is the laziest. She is the only one that doesn't swim around in the water column on a regular basis - she prefers to stick to the bottom. I don't know if that's just her nature, or if that might change with a larger tank or one with less dense bottom cover. ? But either way I just love this fish. She is certainly the thickest, and the most dinosaur-like. She remains very gentle.

Also, with the WC Dels you can easily see (IMO) how they are considered a transition species between UJ and LJ.
Del1.jpg

Del3.jpg

Del2.jpg

Ziti the Teug is still growing steadily. She's still nipping at the Polli but it's remaining low key and without real damage. I love her maroon/yellow coloration. Still not 100% positive on sex. If I upgrade and she stops being a brat she'd jump up higher on my "like" list but right now with the nipping it drops her popularity down. ;)
Teug.jpg

Teug2.jpg

Soba the Moke - my only (non-rope) male unless the Teug turns up male. My slowest grower overall, but he is thickening up gradually. I just love the camo body coloration, the green head and fins, and he also likes to swim around quite a bit. Also a gentle fish. He loves to hang out with the Del. He spooks more easily than any other poly I have.

Note the rounded dorsal finlets vs. the spiky Teug and Polli finlets, and the squared off Del finlets.
Moke1.jpg

Moke3.jpg

This one is less accurate on color d/t lighting but you can see his whole body better, and obvious male anal fin.
Moke2.jpg

And Macaroni the Polli. I think she's kind of like a calm Dory (of Nemo) personality. (*Derp*)
But she is active and follows me around. Doesn't bother anyone but apparently annoys Ziti. :/
I think she is CB the larger she grows - we were never sure because she was mis-labeled, but her body shape has that beer gut look more than any of my other fish. What do you guys think?
Polli1.jpg

Polli2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: twentyleagues

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Oh and I got pics of the female vs. male rope fish anal fins. They are very easy to tell apart. Easier than the other Polys IMO. I think they're more exaggerated. Or maybe I just got them at a size where they were already easy to sex and my other Polys were smaller relatively speaking. I know with the larger LJs it can take years to be sure.

Either way, good visual and still also related to the other polys and how theirs look.

Female
rope female.jpg

Male
rope male.jpg

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Also, funny side story you guys will appreciate.

My mag float for cleaning the glass was old and it must have gotten screwed up becasue it scratched my glass at a water change a couple of weeks ago (not super obvious when the water is full.)

I said something out loud, bummed, and my husband said
"You can get used tanks for cheap, right? When we move you should upgrade for them anyway, like to a 75 or something."

And I said "Yeah, you can get great deals. And yeah, they will need an upgrade.... but more than a 75...."

LOL

I then discussed how much the 3 foot footprint limited me but I chose it becasue of the location in the house (perfect fit). Had I known I would have never gotten a 65. And he agreed.

Anyway, I've vaguely talked about upgrading with him, but not the size difference that I'm thinking.... I see that he's open to it, and he loves my tanks. So we shall see how it goes. I need to find a great deal that I can't pass up and convince him that way. ;)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Wow everyone looks great! Good to hear you got dialog started on new tank too.
Thanks!

I have mentioned upgrading a couple times here and there off-handedly. The new house will dictate the size. We are really close to both having work lined up and will likely be moving in the next few months. Then the dust has to settle with new incomes, etc. I've been talking about it for a long time here (or what seems like a long time) so it seems like it's finally happening at least in the nearer future. :)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Thanks!

Yeah, I think they start to show thickness in the back vs. the belly like the CBs do.

Like comparing above pics of Del and even Moke to Polli (who I think is CB.)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
All look great mags. Nice that your upgrade is closer... now ya start planting the seeds for 180ish lol

Reactions: clm08k and magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store