Uncycled aquarium?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
So by the end of this year, I’m renovating my house. Thus my tank has to be shifted to a corner of my house while the house is renovated.

my current water will then be removed so that my tank can be transferred. Would it affect anything if I immediately add in the fish to a 95% water change?? I have no other options left. I would still have my bio media left that would definitely help right?

waterworks would also be changed, so I wouldn’t be able to do waterchanges for about 2-3 weeks as well.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If you can't do another water change until your renovations are complete, I'd say a huge water change beforehand, as you propose, is the way to go, don't forget dechlorinator.

Then you'll have "2-3 weeks" until your next one. Whilst you're waiting for the work to be finished i'd keep feeding to a bare minimum to help keep any nitrate build up minimal.

And yes, your bio media will need to go in the system to keep it alive, as well as keep the nitrogen cycle going.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I've done 100% water changes with no ill effect. I think you'll be fine, as long as you have established media in your filter.
Thank you! Really assuring ?‍?
If you can't do another water change until your renovations are complete, I'd say a huge water change beforehand, as you propose, is the way to go, don't forget dechlorinator.

Then you'll have "2-3 weeks" until your next one. Whilst you're waiting for the work to be finished i'd keep feeding to a bare minimum to help keep any nitrate build up minimal.

And yes, your bio media will need to go in the system to keep it alive, as well as keep the nitrogen cycle going.
I’ll be moving the tank and removing all the water. Then when the tank is in its new location I’ll refill the whole tank, so it’s like a large water change already.
What I’m worried is if such a large water change (although there is old media) would lead to ammonia spikes and bacteria blooms which may affect the fish.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Yeah, I'm seconding that you should be fine. I have done something very similar (filled it up with almost 100% dechorinated tap water) when upgrading my clown loaches to their 473 liter, and they made the transfer unharmed despite their great sensitivity to bad water.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Yeah, I'm seconding that you should be fine. I have done something very similar (filled it up with almost 100% dechorinated tap water) when upgrading my clown loaches to their 473 liter, and they made the transfer unharmed despite their great sensitivity to bad water.
Thanks for reassurance. Then my only worries would be ammonia spikes and bacteria bloom. And the fact the fish may jump out of the tank due to the loud renovation noises and construction of the house. I will be moving to another location while my house is renovating so I can’t keep an eye.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Thank you! Really assuring ?‍?

I’ll be moving the tank and removing all the water. Then when the tank is in its new location I’ll refill the whole tank, so it’s like a large water change already.
What I’m worried is if such a large water change (although there is old media) would lead to ammonia spikes and bacteria blooms which may affect the fish.
As long as the chlorine has gone you'll be fine. That's why I emphasized the usage of dechlorinator. And don't forget, your BB are concentrated in your bio media, they're not in water. So as long as your bio media are in the system, and you use dechlorinator, then a huge water change won't be an issue. Ensure the temperature is correct too of course.

You won't get any ammonia spikes if your old media is in the system. You WOULD get an ammonia spike if you added your fish without your media. Your old media is key here to keeping things stable.

Last edited:

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Thanks for reassurance. Then my only worries would be ammonia spikes and bacteria bloom. And the fact the fish may jump out of the tank due to the loud renovation noises and construction of the house. I will be moving to another location while my house is renovating so I can’t keep an eye.
Jumping scared fish is always a valid concern, but you shouldn't have to worry about NH3 spikes or bacterial bloom if you transfer the media fast enough, as all the good bacteria will still be there.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You should get 0 ammonia or nitrite spikes as long as you move over all your filters. You might get a bacterial bloom if you don't move over the substrate. This won't cause an ammonia spike or nitrite spike. The bacterial bloom just means most of the organic material eating bacteria was located in your substrate if you don't move it over.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I don’t have substrate. It’s a bare bottom tank. So I would get a bacterial bloom which is not harmful?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store