Unexpected catches

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
My aunt lives in Maryland and her (my dad's brother from the previous story) caught a snakehead, about 2 feet long. On a fishing trip to Flordia they also caught a gar (standard alligator gar) that was pushing 5 feet (they let it go of course), on the same trip they also caught a 20 inch Largemouth Bass.

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
My best turtle story is when a turtle swam up to me. So i was fishing my favorite creek spot, I have seen many turtles there of all sizes and species but this time there was a red eared slider there. I walked to the edge of water and splashed my hand in the water a bit and it swam right up to me and I just picked it up. For the rest of the fishing session he just hung out next to us. I think it was pretty obvious it was a released pet.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I have caught hundreds of turtles , mostly baitfishing, I fish with barbless hooks and pull them in gently, i would say 75% of the time they aren't hooked, they just won't let go, I always make sure to get the hook out(easier said then done, especially with ~ 50 lb snappers ).

I have also hooked garter snakes, a grebe,
Bullfrogs (on purpose usually), crayfish (not hooked technically), a freshwater jellyfish, mutant horseleech, plus some really weird junk and trash.

I once hooked two largemouth bass on one jitterbug lure .

I've caught lmb on: macaroni,bread and on other fish that bit my hook.

Channel catfish: will eat anything almost, caught them on Chinese chicken,philly sandwich,cheese,bacon,bread even bare hooks.

Caught bluegill on a styrofoam earplug.

Reactions: Iamfish

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
While ice fishing many years ago, I sent a orange painted sounder down the hole attached to my bare hook. Pulled up a 10-12" bass on it.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
While ice fishing many years ago, I sent a orange painted sounder down the hole attached to my bare hook. Pulled up a 10-12" bass on it.
Was it even able to fight?
Few years ago some guys attached fish hooks to Swiss Army knives and caught lots of albacore.

Reactions: Iamfish

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Made a fly out of a wad of cotton and two flower petals for wings when I lost my last fly. Caught two trout before it fell apart.
Caught a blue channel on a chunk of bar soap.

Not a catch but a funny fishing story.
While cat fishing one night I was setting on the bank and heard a rustling in the weeds and a frog came jumping out between my legs onto my thigh and into the woods behind me. Right behind the frog was a three foot water moccasin came out of the weeds crawling straight across my thigh after this frog. I never moved.
I wonder if the little guy made it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store