United States Invasive/Alien Species

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Louie;3820351;3820351 said:
I agree with you but suspect for every cichlid that eats baby bass or sun countless bass and suns eat and grow using cichlids fry.

Keep in mind cichlids dont swim around hunting like LMB they from what I have seen stay in a territory .

You get to know cichlids in canals,etc they take a teritory and dont leave which is why come cold you had such massive cichlid die off.

The cichlids are so territorial that if a canal is cleaned (rare) or heavily polluted like it was by Marlins stadium canal. Once its liveable the same EXACT fish will return.

I agree congo eels,snake heads which are active hunters are a threat but from what I have seen and no expert it has been LMB ,pickerel,bowfins which hunt the fairly "stationary" cichlids.

Mazambique talipia from what I have seen are not "stationary" though have only seen them in one small area.

Mayans-Oscars-Jags-acara-red devils other talipia you know exactly where you will find them once you fish for them. They eat mosquito fish,jewel cichlids algae and each others fry.

I agree with Warmouth some eat natives but find if anything natives have thrived due to them other than congo eels and snakeheads which are probably the rarest exotics.
If you look at fishing forum none of us have caught them. We are spread all over S.Florida but not 1 has caught one.

The cichlid population has taken a BIG kill and a yr probably 2 will show if natives devoured them and flourished as I suspect or those who disagree with me are correct.
You keep saying that natives are flourishing in the everglades (thats where Im talking about) yet every article put out by a state biologist, university etc. that has done electroshocking or net sampling seems to say the opposite; that cichlids are taking the nesting areas of cetrarchids in many places in the everglades and replacing them......where are you getting your info. that this isnt true? I do agree with you on the Asian swamp eel and snakeheads!

Winks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Rockbass6;1563708; said:
All I was trying to point out was that the gobys are here to stay and there is nothing we can do about it. everything in site! There is nothing you or I can do about the round goby so you may as well accept that they are here to stay. QUOTE]

I agree that gobys are terrible for the enviroment, I go diving in lake michgian and all i see are a few bass, tons of carp, and millions of gobys. Its sad that at one time there were tons of native fishes and now their population size has plumeted.
But i also agree they are here to stay, the last time i went diving i was amazed to see huge white clouds swimming around rocks, i had no idea what they were and once i got closer they were goby fry. At least millions, it was disgusting. There were

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Winks;3921151;3921151 said:
Rockbass6;1563708; said:
All I was trying to point out was that the gobys are here to stay and there is nothing we can do about it. everything in site! There is nothing you or I can do about the round goby so you may as well accept that they are here to stay. QUOTE]

I agree that gobys are terrible for the enviroment, I go diving in lake michgian and all i see are a few bass, tons of carp, and millions of gobys. Its sad that at one time there were tons of native fishes and now their population size has plumeted.
But i also agree they are here to stay, the last time i went diving i was amazed to see huge white clouds swimming around rocks, i had no idea what they were and once i got closer they were goby fry. At least millions, it was disgusting. There were
Sounds like time for a Goby fry!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
warmouth;3937649; said:
Winks;3921151;3921151 said:
Sounds like time for a Goby fry!
I heard that the gobies aint good eating for us, something do with poison or vomiting.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
MN_Rebel;3937683;3937683 said:
warmouth;3937649; said:
I heard that the gobies aint good eating for us, something do with poison or vomiting.
off course, they wouldnt be......thats just my luck, I sure hope they dont make it down the mississippi, we have enough problem with the living river mowers (asian carp).

Bigg fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
gillette
im trying ta find a group mainly bichirs bowfish thinga along theses please contact me i have many questions

Mikeberg

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2007
Northwest Indiana
I have cleaned gar with tin snips, I wonder if they would work on those armered catfish you guys were talking about in Texas & Florida. Gar are almost imposible to clean with a knife, but tin snips make it a lot easyer.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Mikeberg;4591107;4591107 said:
I have cleaned gar with tin snips, I wonder if they would work on those armered catfish you guys were talking about in Texas & Florida. Gar are almost imposible to clean with a knife, but tin snips make it a lot easyer.
Good idea! Ive heard of people cooking them and then scooping out the flesh.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Gobies and snakeheads are very tasty if you know how to cook them. Snakehead is special food in Vietnam, we have a lot of food made from them !

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
HungDang;4686830;4686830 said:
Gobies and snakeheads are very tasty if you know how to cook them. Snakehead is special food in Vietnam, we have a lot of food made from them !
Ive heard of eating Snakehead.....but this is the first time Ive ever heard of eating Gobies, how do you cook them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store