Unwise elasmobranch choices

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Brenden;1720449; said:
...no body is stupid enough consider a Manta Ray, Whale Sharks, Bull Shark, Sand Tiger, ect.....
Skylar? :ROFL:

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well - when you think about it most sharks or rays aren't on the list of species suitable for most private SW aquarists.

Really the only suitable species of sharks or rays that can be kept in tanks/ponds from a few hundred gallons to around a thousand or so. Any tank/pond that is larger than a 100 sq.ft or about 2,000 gallons isn't really practical for the majority private SW Aquarists. While I believe it's very possible for a private aquarists that have tanks/ponds/lagoons larger than 2,000 gallons - These Aquarists often have lots of money and space to care and keep these very large systems.

Crumbs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Canada
I have actually bin wondering for some time if it would be possible to keep deep water sharks such as Pigmy Sharks or Apristurus Catsharks. They stay small, require cold water. Some do surface which may help them adapt to captivity. I havn't found any public aquariums that have them... maybe some university?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Not many people can collect them and keep them alive throught the pressure change.
Even once they are up, keeping them alive in lower pressure would be hard since their bodies are acclimated to being so deep. It's common when trying to keep most deep water species. Once they are in light and lower water pressure, their body systems can't adapt.... they don't last more than about two weeks.

However, there are several smaller cold shallow water sharks that one could look into. Dark shy sharks, chain dogs, some swell sharks and some catsharks.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Yeah - Chain Dogs are small enough(only about 18 inches long) to be kept in 300 gallon tank - if you have superpowerful chiller to keep the water temps under 55F).

But for small "aquaria" sharks - I tend to think the small exotic Atelomycterus cats - the Banded Sand Catshark (A. fasciatus) & the Bali Catshark (A. baliensis). Both of which are tropical species & and stay under 20" in total length.

Crumbs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Canada
Chain's breed well in captivity and inhibit similar water depths as many Apristurus sharks. Both being benthic I dont understand why it would be so much more difficult to acclimate them. Pigmy sharks or Lantern sharks on the other hand descend much deeper and are palgic so I could see them being far more of a challenge to keep alive. I was just wondering if it had bin done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store