Unwise elasmobranch choices

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I would think that is has to due with variations in osmoregulation at extreme depths... but that is just a guess. I haven't really worked with deep water animals.... other than the giant isopods. And that wasn't something I wanted to do - and it didn't turn out well for the animals.

Crumbs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Canada
Thanks for the insight Matt, Ill hold off on the deep water sharks for now. haha I just have a keen interest in them. I did find a study on embryonic development of Apristurus brunnes. I could not find any follow up information on the study or results after they hatched, but it could open some potential doors for captive husbandry.
http://homepage.mac.com/mollet/Ab/Ab_dev.html

Out of curiosity I thought all sharks in the Scyliorhnde family are considered catsharks including the Chain- Scyliorhinus retifer

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Chain dogs / chain cats are the same thing. "Dogs" is an older name that gets used a lot for some of the "cats" still out of habit. (Spiney dogs, chain dogs etc...)

Crumbs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Canada
Sort of like a Brownbanded Catshark- which is one of my pet peeves :duh:

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
A deep water shark would be pretty awesome. I think the lack of knowledge on them would hinder the ability to keep them successfully like I don't know if anyone has ever done too much research on their complete dietary needs etc. It would be cool though if someone could keep one alive for more than 2 weeks.

Crumbs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Canada
In the case of Apristurus brunneus according to fish base its dietary needs are similar to other sharks:

Feeds on small true shrimps, euphausiid shrimps, squids, and small fishes (Ref. 244). Oviparous (Ref. 50449). And inhibits depths from depth range 33 – 950 m.

So cold temperatures can be attained if needed, their dietary needs are know and are attainable. If they are were to be collected at 33 m. would they be able to adapt to consistent shallow depth. I know nothing about osmoregulation but Chain Cats inhabit depths of 73-754 m. which doesn't seem to be too big of a difference.
Since we know less about the deep water catsharks then other shark species what better place to study them in captivity. They are even located from Northern Baja California to British Columbia which is pretty ideal for collection if you have an uncle with a shrimp trawler or some sort of subsidy.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=763&lang=English

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Yeah - sometimes shark names can be confusing.

Dogsharks/Dogfish - have been used to describe many species of sharks - from Squaliformes (true Dogfish) to Triakidae (Smooth hound sharks) to even a few species of cat sharks - such a the Chain "Dogfish"/Catshark.

Like wise the term catsharks is used to describe actual catsharks of the family Scyliorhinidae as well as Long-tailed Carpet sharks such as Bamboos & Eppies.

Personal I think it's best to call a Catshark - a Catshark, A Bamboo - A Bamboo, a Dogfish - A Dogfish, & A hound shark - A hound shark. Don't attempt to mix them up - only adds to the confusion.

crashinc25

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Yucaipa, CA
Wouldn't this be more helpful if it was for species that CAN be kept instead of what CAN'T?
Just my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store