Up and coming 125 gallon oscar tank.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
The ornatus is beautiful....would 2 of thos be a possibility since they only reach about 10"

Thanks for the tip...that actually is a great idea. Only concern I would have is I am hoping to use sand as a substrate, wonder if being closer will affect it
After the 90° elbow, run 12-18" or so of pipe up to get your intake or outflow (I'd recommend outflow) well above the sand

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
If it was my tank and I was going to run either the outlet or intake along the bottom, under a sand substrate to the other end, I would probably get some aquarium safe silicone, smear it all over the plumbing and then roll it in sand (the same sand I'd be using for my substrate).

That way when the plumbing is eventually exposed (or partially exposed) by digging cichlids, it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Lastly, you mentioned you may want to do a pair of Salvini's or Severums - if it were me I would lean towards Severums. A pair of Salvini could quite possibly kill your oscar if they ended up being a true pair and spawning. If you go with Sevs I would get 6 or so to start, let them pair up naturally and grow to about 5 or 6 inches, and then introduce a single oscar... Oscars grow incredibly fast from what I hear (never had one). I have kept severums (mostly Rotkiels) and they are not what I would consider fast growers.

Coach Kev

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2019
Not sure, but I may be leaning towards 2 Oscar's and a sun catfish....probably no room for severums with 2 O's.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
If it was my tank and I was going to run either the outlet or intake along the bottom, under a sand substrate to the other end, I would probably get some aquarium safe silicone, smear it all over the plumbing and then roll it in sand (the same sand I'd be using for my substrate).
Dude I really like that idea!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store