Update on my cats

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
Lost the planiceps to some sort of swim bladder issue. He appeared healthy one day then doing barrel rolls the next. A couple days later he was basically immobile and unresponsive but lived a few more days. Passed sometime on the sixth.

RTC continued doing poorly and barely eating. I added salt at a low concentration to the big tank in hopes of helping the planiceps, and the RTC again responded poorly. I found him floating the next day. Upon inspection I found that he had almost no fleshy gill tissue and it was almost entirely black. Two cats in less than a week, sad times. So far all other cats in the big tank seem perfectly healthy, but I'll be watching them like a hawk for any signs of illness or changes in behavior.

Megalodoras is in my koi pond for the summer. The 120 he was housed in to grow out busted a bottom seam so I'll be doing my first acrylic repair shortly. The stand allowed too much sag toward the center so I'll be reinforcing that and resealing the tank. Pond parameters are excellent and temps are plenty warm for the next few months. I've been throwing sinking pellets in for him after the other fish get fed and the rosy reds have been multiplying like crazy if he feels like catching any. Eventually he should be going with my other cats, but he's a slow grower so it'll be a little while. I was mostly concerned about the planiceps or RTC trying to eat him, so depending on everybody's size when I pull the mega out of the pond he may be ready to move in then.

Current measurements for my cats are approximately 11" TSN, 10" RTCxTSN, 9" o. niger, 5" m. irwini.

I'm working on getting the TSN to take pellets. He's an absolute pig when I feed fish but doesn't touch pellets yet. I haven't fed anything but pellets for a couple weeks, no food for a week then a small amount of pellets for the last few days. Niger pigs out, hybrid takes a few but isn't overly interested, TSN ignores them completely. TSN is built like a tank and doesn't appear to be losing weight so no worries yet. I'll probably start giving him a couple fish every two weeks if he keeps resisting.

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
I'll probably feed today and will try to remember to get pics. Got a new RTC a couple weeks ago and he's doing great. He's a very aggressive feeder and isn't the least bit intimidated by the larger fish. Niger still growing steady and vacuuming up pellets, plows right over the other cats if they're in his way. Hybrid is eating anything I put in for him to eat now, looks funny snagging floating pellets. TSN still doesn't touch pellets so I've been stuffing fish with pellets for him. The other two like the stuffed fish so much that I gave it to all three predatory cats last feeding. All are growing well and seem healthy.

Looks like I might have to go snorkeling in my pond to find the megalodoras. I'm sure he's growing like crazy out there but I haven't seen him since I put him in, which is normal judging by his behavior since I got him. If he's got a place to hide he hides.

Had to replace the leaking gate valve feeding my water heater so I went ahead and sweated in tees(like a dummy I soldered the cold water side which was closest to me first then burned my arm reaching past it to solder the hot side) to prep for a radiant heater, probably get that done this month, insulate the sump this month or next and I'll be ready for winter. Also got the 120 resealed with weld-on 40. Just need to reinforce the stand then I can test fill.

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
great to see your cats doing fine thinking of getting a planiceps lately. also you might consider a piraiba they do not grow large as people say so maybe around 1 feet in 2 years . there growth is slow in the wild they grow fast or anything similar like brachyplatystoma flavians

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
I think I've got all the cats I'm going to have for quite some time. If I came across a Planiceps locally that was a good size to go with my current stock I'd likely pick it up but I've never seen one locally and if I remember correctly they aren't being imported, at least for now.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
Hybrid looks like he swallowed something he shouldn't have. Other than a couple rocks there's nothing in the tank he could have eaten. Seems to be acting normal. Photo doesn't show it all that well but it's just one spot on his belly that's sticking out

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1375413884944.jpg

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
great fish my tsn is around the same size but bulkier
Yeah yours is definitely beefier. Mine's keeping up with my hybrid in length but the hybrid's easily twice as heavy I'd guess. I'm feeding as much as they'll eat every 3-6 days, lately I'm using whole fish stuffed with pellets. TSN gets the most pronounced belly after eating but it also flattens back out faster than the others. He eats almost as much as the hybrid.

Hybrid seems to be fine. The strange bulge in his belly was gone and he ate normally on saturday, seems to be digesting normally judging by his shrinking belly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store