vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com

Just took some more photos of my native goby tanks. Ok, native to Dniester River))) I have 3 freshwater species of gobies in there: monkey goby, round goby, and toad goby. Toad goby ( Mesogobius batrachocephalus) is the largest one, but he only comes out when he is hugry, so I couldn't get any photos of him this time. However, I got a bunch of pictures of my monkey gobies and round gobies.

If you are wondering how to keep round gobies and monkey gobies in an aquarium, well, it's very easy. Mine are wild caught. I caught them myself. They eat anything, including dry food, but prefer blood worms and frozen shrimp. Both round gobies and sand gobies can be kept in any type of water. By that, I mean, they can be kept in pure freshwater, brackish, and in fully marine conditions. I keep my in pure fresh. They have started eating within hours of being caught. For those of you living in US or in American occupied territories (Florida, Alabama, Kentucky), these gobies are considered invasive species. So you can't legally keep them in aquarium there. You might get a serious fine if they catch you.

Moneky or sand goby (Neogobius fluviatilis) is showing his chubby face

Two monkey gobies and a round goby (Neogobius melanostomus) hanging out together.

A profile view of my large sand goby

Larger and smaller moneky gobies together near their rock cave)))

Another cool view of the gobies

Here you can clearly see the difference between monkey goby and a round goby. Plus round gobies have the signature black spot on their dorsal fin

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice.

IMHO, it is pretty hard to imagine a more interesting in terms of behavior, quirky, and funny fish that run on the bottom instead of swimming and are full of character.

European rivers appear to all contain them - they are considered "garbage" fish but I think they don't deserve it.

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
Nice.

IMHO, it is pretty hard to imagine a more interesting in terms of behavior, quirky, and funny fish that run on the bottom instead of swimming and are full of character.

European rivers appear to all contain them - they are considered "garbage" fish but I think they don't deserve it.
yes, they are really cool. american rivers are now full of them as well))) but it's illegal to keep them. rumor has it, they came in on ukrainian ship in balast water. ironically, ukraine, russian, and moldavia are now suffering from invasive bluegill

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've heard the ballast story with respect to several invasions...

Bluegill? Really? Never would have thought. I guess bluegill has to compete with the ever pesky and equally quirky ruff :)

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
I've heard the ballast story with respect to several invasions...

Bluegill? Really? Never would have thought. I guess bluegill has to compete with the ever pesky and equally quirky ruff :)
yes, bluegill has been here for a while. they are called sun perch here

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
wow very cool, I would like to set up a tank like that someday

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Very cool, like Gobies alot. There are numerous species sold over on Aquabid that I have considered trying.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They look cool man. I'm tempted to travel to South Africa's east coast to collect some of the interesting estuarine fish there. I quite like your collections :)

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
They look cool man. I'm tempted to travel to South Africa's east coast to collect some of the interesting estuarine fish there. I quite like your collections :)
thanks. these guys are actually started breeding now. the male is guarding his cave with eggs. i dont have a separate tank right now, so they'll probably be eaten.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
thanks. these guys are actually started breeding now. the male is guarding his cave with eggs. i dont have a separate tank right now, so they'll probably be eaten.
That's quite interesting. I will have to read through the native goby species to see which ones would ever be aquarium suitable and if possible kept in FW

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store