UPDATE : Stingray export from Brazil (email from Marc Weiss)

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Lucky you have the contacts so that you could buy captive bred rays. We dont have
much people that have that here in the states. A few captive bred motoros but thats about it.
well i feel that shows how many rays have died in cativity look how many have been imported surely their should be loads of breeding going on buy now

i wonder what percentage ever make it to a breeding size 2% maybe less

radiom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2005
I think you're also correct, look how often people want a ray but can't even be bothered to buy an $8 book about how to keep them, we see it all the time on these forums
:(
thats so true... rays arent like most other fishes where that extra care is needed.

but glad to see many true hobbyist creating great tank and pond environments and breeding these wonderful creatures....

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
well, lets just hope either the ban goes off soon. any ideas?

do keep us updated ya. thanks neo..

or the farm and hobbist start breeding them by the truck loads!

Wildy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
NEWCASTLE UK
I wonder if that mega tank frank is building is for mass breeding rays it sure looks like it..

kody1192

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Illinois
i am working on the leo's
next batch of pups should be here end of august
i would take a male but im sure the chance of that is slim(i will rent one:D lol)
i hope they breed even more in that new 480
i hope colins histrix will breed soon to

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I wonder if that mega tank frank is building is for mass breeding rays it sure looks like it..
i will be seeing that mega tank on the 9th next month when i go to pick up some ray pups :D

of course its for a big breeding plan any hard core ray keepers would have known a ban would happen sooner or later

i cant understand why something like the mega tank has never been set up in the US then you would have nothing to worrie about with a ban or were you guys waiting for them to be put on the CITIES list like asian aros so you can moan about not being able to get then :D

Histrix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2006
Ann Arbor, MI
www.raylady.com
I'm actually happy the Brazilian government finally cracked down on ray export. I love keeping them, but I've seen too many die at the hands unscrupulous LFS sales people or online sellers and well-meaning but inexperienced hobbiests who have neither the experience nor the means to take care of them long term. I'd rather be moderately inconvenienced and pay a little more for captive-bred animals than see the wild populations decline.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I'm actually happy the Brazilian government finally cracked down on ray export. I love keeping them, but I've seen too many die at the hands unscrupulous LFS sales people or online sellers and well-meaning but inexperienced hobbiests who have neither the experience nor the means to take care of them long term. I'd rather be moderately inconvenienced and pay a little more for captive-bred animals than see the wild populations decline.
well said i agree :clap

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store