UPDATE : Stingray export from Brazil (email from Marc Weiss)

Histrix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2006
Ann Arbor, MI
www.raylady.com
The fact that tons of fish are being killed and exploited by sources other than the aquarium trade is not indicative of a "booming population". These animals are much slower to reproduce than many of the other local species. I think the ban should remain in effect until a thorough investigation on the impact of all of this beach clearing and other BS is conducted.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
this is a flawed argument as wild populatons are in fact booming.
In Brazil people are paid to kill rays to keep popular beaches clear and Japanese factory freezer ships are allowed to take rays out 200 tonnes at a time, when the ornamental fish export represents less than 2% of all the rays taken.
Fishing and export represents a sustainable renewable income for thousands of people in Amazonia, , they are alowed to kill and eat a ray, god for one meal, but not allowd to export a ray, god fopr a weks' worth of income.
Big corporations are able to pay the steep prices to get around restrictions or to distort policy set by politicians and not by scientists, despite scietific advice.
The vast majority of scientific comunity there wants the quotas raised and any bans lifted.
The next big threat to all Amazon fish populations is loss of habitat and pollution, and that also is nothing to do with fishing, but entirely due to human greed for gold and other minerals, exotic hard woods etc.
Meanwhile some senior gov. officials will grant permits for rays to be exported if you pay a large enough "fee".
My associates and I wanted to start a farm for rays and other species and were asked to pay $100, 000 in cash for the permit to the official in charge
they may have wanted 100,00 to set up a farm over their so why not build one in the US this is was i cant understand the US is MASSIVE place so why dont you guys make use of that space if the mega tank can be put together in holland why cant the same sort of thing be done in the US

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
it doent take 100ks to sort out a breeding plan people in germany and holland have been breeding loads of rays for last few years and onces the mega tank is up and running i think they will be able to surppy enought captive bred rays to surpply the ray keepers that know what they are doing in europe

their is a list of people who have bred rays and what type on franks site how many leos,henlei,pearls,flower,tigers,hystrix and motoro have been bred in the US

i would say that their should have been loads of breeding in the asian countrys as they import the most rays closely followed buy the US

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
need a breeder in uk:woot:
next year things will happen their are a few people close in the UK :D

If not jump on the euro tunnel and go see frank a true ray lover will travel any distance to get the rays they want :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store