Upgrading Tanks

KPahlkotter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2017
Hey all,
I am planning on finally upgrading my 46 gallon tank to a 75 gallon tank. My question is, do I have to cycle the new tank for 6-8 weeks? or can I xfer everything over and add new water as if I did a water change? I won't be adding any new fish, just some more driftwood and a couple plants. I have read so many different things online and feel like it's a 50/50 on how to do it properly. I just don't want to loose my fish at all, that's the main thing I care about. TIA

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
I've done straight transfers of tanks with no deaths. The tank is just the container. As long as you quickly switch everything over, filters, decor, substrate, it'll be ok. It'll be like a big water change.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
When I upgraded my 110 tall to a 180 all’s I did was keep the bio and wood wet, I damaged my two good Anubias and even with about 28 hours of no flow or fish when I started the 180 up it was cycled and good to go.i admittedly added the fish back slowly and lightly fed for about a week to let the BB catch back up.

Reactions: FishBeast

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Should be fine. I would do some water testing after the transfer just to make sure everything is good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store