Used large aquarium need opinions

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
I feel like i saw this exact tank on here not long ago, with somebody asking about resealing it around those odd bottom panels of glass. I just dont understand why they would line the bottom edges with strips of glass.

Yeah that thing looks like a pita. I would wait them out and make a lowball offer later. Just a couple of the glass panels off it could be worth $50.
I don’t get the glass at the bottom either.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The glass at the bottom are doublers to increase the size of the silicone joint contact. This saves making the entire bottom of the tank twice as thick.

Regarding the tank, it may well be repairable except for that chip.

But I wouldn't give this guy a dime for it because he sounds like a total wanker. I just don't do business with people like that unless I'm forced to.

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
The glass at the bottom are doublers to increase the size of the silicone joint contact. This saves making the entire bottom of the tank twice as thick.

Regarding the tank, it may well be repairable except for that chip.

But I wouldn't give this guy a dime for it because he sounds like a total wanker. I just don't do business with people like that unless I'm forced to.
Thanks for the advice. Just hard around here to find a close to 300 gallon tank for around $300. But I really don’t want to deal with a blow out. Have the vibe that he new it was smaller since he new the exact volume once mentioned it was a foot shorter. Think I’m going to pass on it!

I appreciate everyone’s input!

Reactions: Matteus

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
You may not be the first guy who caught him on that.

Chances are maybe 25% that this tank will crack when moving it, anyway, right where the chip is.
There may be chips under the trim too. They're never a good omen.

If you still want it, wait another week, or two and see if it's still for sale. Then low-ball him.

You will likely spend a min of 25 man hours to move this, disassemble, scrape, and reassemble the tank.

It's about how cheap you are willing to work for something that has no guarantee when you are done.

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
You may not be the first guy who caught him on that.

Chances are maybe 25% that this tank will crack when moving it, anyway, right where the chip is.
There may be chips under the trim too. They're never a good omen.

If you still want it, wait another week, or two and see if it's still for sale. Then low-ball him.

You will likely spend a min of 25 man hours to move this, disassemble, scrape, and reassemble the tank.

It's about how cheap you are willing to work for something that has no guarantee when you are done.
I agree, it’s not like he has taken the 30 seconds to update the tank volume on the add, which is what I would do if I found out I was wrong with the information I was giving.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store