Useless facts we don’t need to know

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The wombat is the only animal in the world whose faeces comes out in cubes!!!!

Scientists have pondered for years why this is the case. Some said it was so the crap couldn't roll away which would alter the boundaries of its territory. Nope!

Others thought that the gut of the wombat was particularly effective at retaining every last drop of moisture, and it was this squeezing process in the gut which give the crap it's cube like appearance. Nope!

They finally sussed it by dissecting dead wombats that were killed on the roads. Apparently their intestinal tubes have a series of ridges on the inside, so whilst the crap is passing through, being compacted as it goes, it ends up square as opposed to cylindrical. Yes!

Wideglide04

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2022
NE Alabama
The wombat is the only animal in the world whose faeces comes out in cubes!!!!

Scientists have pondered for years why this is the case. Some said it was so the crap couldn't roll away which would alter the boundaries of its territory. Nope!

Others thought that the gut of the wombat was particularly effective at retaining every last drop of moisture, and it was this squeezing process in the gut which give the crap it's cube like appearance. Nope!

They finally sussed it by dissecting dead wombats that were killed on the roads. Apparently their intestinal tubes have a series of ridges on the inside, so whilst the crap is passing through, being compacted as it goes, it ends up square as opposed to cylindrical. Yes!
Ouch!!

• Haha
Reactions: esoxlucius

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I can definitely agree with that on parrots and even some songbirds…but you have to see the big flightless birds (ostrich, rhea, emu) in action…
There is definitely nothing going on up there.
Those are the birds that bury their heads in the sand, so ya not much going on up there. They haven't even figured out that birds are supposed to fly.
Seriously though I've seen a bird riding a bicycle, without a helmet no less.
Smarter than half the guys I've been given the task of teaching carpentry to.
I asked one of the guys I work with "why did you do it that way? " His response was " because I'm stupid, I'm just smart enough to know that I'm stupid."

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Apple pips contain a compound called Amygdalin. When digested in the gut Amygdalin is metabolised into the deadly poisonous Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN).

However, you are only in danger of making yourself exceedingly ill if you eat the FULL apple, and meticulously chew the pips (whole pips will harmlessly pass through the digestive system). And it'll take not just one apple, but about 20 to put yourself at risk.

So, if you are an apple addict to the tune of 20 or so in one sitting, and eat the lot, pips too, and properly chew them up.....beware!!!

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Apple pips contain a compound called Amygdalin. When digested in the gut Amygdalin is metabolised into the deadly poisonous Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN).

However, you are only in danger of making yourself exceedingly ill if you eat the FULL apple, and meticulously chew the pips (whole pips will harmlessly pass through the digestive system). And it'll take not just one apple, but about 20 to put yourself at risk.

So, if you are an apple addict to the tune of 20 or so in one sitting, and eat the lot, pips too, and properly chew them up.....beware!!!
That’s why I always stop at 19,
Oh wait, what number was I on?
Shoot I lost count, ah one more shouldn’t hurt.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That’s why I always stop at 19,
Oh wait, what number was I on?
Shoot I lost count, ah one more shouldn’t hurt.
In all fairness, although it is certainly a valid fact, you'd probably need a good few more than 20 apples to really do yourself some harm.

Body mass will come into it and also the human body can safely process a few chewed up apple pips anyway and "lose" the resulting CNC.

I'm sure there was a case going back years and years where somebody collected masses of apple pips, crushed them up and made a brew in an attempt to poison someone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store