Uv light overexposure to fresh water fish will kill them?

seesolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
space station 7
I just recently bought a hamilton uv light and i used it on my flowerhorns, until the female looked like it was paralyzed, then deep blue told me it was the light, so does uv light really harm fresh water fish in this manner?

Sab_Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
Delray Beach, FL
I see you posting about your FHs all over the place . . . I think you need to slow down (I know they're both dead now) . . . first off, I don't think Deep Blue said the light killed your fish, he just suggested you turn off ANY lights in the tank while your fish was ill

you described a "UV" light that is 2x96W . . . that doesn't sound right; are you just talking about your normal tank lighting? 2x96W sounds like typical compact flourescent (CF) lighting

you didn't say anything about your water parameters, and it sounds like you didn't cycle your tank . . . I think that is the source of your problems

my advice, again, is to start over and go slooow . . . sorry for the loss of your fish, I now how much that sux

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
From the sounds of it you used 2 96 watt (standard compact flourescent wattage) UV lights, AS LIGHTING for your aquarium!?!? Where did you get such a horrible idea ? UV lights only belong in UV sterilizers which just run water through them by use of a pump they don't shine on your tank.

UV lights (specifically the UV-B(not so much the UV-A) emitted by them) can cause cancer after prolonged exposure to living organisms among other health effects by way of irreparable DNA damage.

Now the UV lights in UV sterilizers actualy produce UV-C which is even more destructive to DNA than UV-B and this is the reason they need so small wattages. you don't need alot of UV-C to kill off most pathogens which is what UV sterilizers are for.

Luckily the ones you used are probably UV-B emitting bulbs (which are often safe for things like reptiles which require the UV-B but it's not safe for them either if you used as much wattage as you did)

Your fish is basically suffering radiation poisoning and there isn't much you can do for it now.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Keep in mind that our sun emits UV rays and wild fish are exposed to sunlight for as many hours per day as the sun shines. As long as you're not keeping your lights on 24/7, you will probably be OK. Just stop using the UV bulbs and switch to typical aquarium bulbs. It sounds like you just had a misunderstanding about UV lighting and aquariums. Your fish don't necessarily have radiation poisoning or cancer. I doubt that, very much. Your poor fish have just been diagnosed with skin cancer due to radiation poisoning and a prognosis of death . . . How has that been determined from this post? Don't worry about it. They will be fine.

alexmuw

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2009
meow
All forms of UV radiation are harmful (AND NO, Black lights are NOT UV lights!).

How long did you run these lights?

How the hell did you get a UV light bulb? I sure hope your household lights aren't installed with these "UV-bulbs"

Remove the bulbs and replace with fluorescent lights.

kevinac27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
how to treat fish when cloudy lumps form over the body because of uv light?

Gomez

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2016
Hi, my grandkids have got gold fish, they got a uv sterilizer light and put it in the tank. only thing is they left it on all night. when they got up , the fish were lying on the bottom of the tank. they are trying to move, but they are finding it hard. do you think the light has damaged the fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store