UV sterilizer, good or bad?

Antares

Feeder Fish
May 24, 2017
Hey guys, i'm new to the fish keeping hobby. I was thinking of getting a uv sterilizer. I had gone through a number of articles. The companies say that they r an absolutue must, some fish keepers agree, some don't. Can i have some help on the subject?

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Welcome to the forum! What type of fish do you have?
How big is your tank? How often do you clean your tank and do water changes? UV sterilizers do work-I use them at work but not at home. So yeah not an absolute must. Used in conjunction with top of the line dual canister filters allows units to go longer between services. I don't have those kinds of issues at home so I don't really need one I just change my water regularly.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I only use one in my pond outside. It gets a lot of direct sun so without it I have solid green water. I prefer to see my fish;) So in that case it is a must for me.

Inside I've never had an issue with tank water going green. Even with no plants. And my tanks get direct morning sun and indirect sun the rest of the day. So for tanks I say there isn't a need, in my case anyway.

Keep in mind the only algae it kills is free floating, not the kind that grows on glass and decor.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Other than the free floating algae they help eliminate, UV sterilizers kill bacteria that flow thru them, but only those that flow thru the light at a slow enough rate to damage their organelles.
They do "not" any bacteria on the fish itself, they do not any bacteria or protozoa on the substrate of other phages that live as sessile biofilm.
They are not a substitute for a quarantine tank, they also do not kill many protozoa with a hard enough cell wall, unless those protozoa spends serious amount of time in the kill zone under a strong enough light.
They do not kill beneficial bacteria (it is sessile)
If you do not regularly clean off the crud that can build up on the inside of the unit, the unit becomes ineffective.
And the bulbs themselves become ineffective after a while, because they loose kill power, so must be regularly changed..

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
I use them on my ray tank and always will. The water is clearer and they claim to kill pathogens etc to keep water clearer and prevent diseases and outbreaks etc.

As far as I'm concerned, £100 on a decent UV is not a lot to spend as an insurance policy t protect £1000's of rays! So for these reason I will always use as a 'just in case'.

However in answer to your question, who knows whether actually needed or not.

Last edited:

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
They scare me. My fish are healthy, and I don't want to do any killing so close to them. I know this illogical, but this is how I feel

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
There few things you should take note: if nothing wrong don't try to FIX it.
Most problems in our hobby happen when folks trying to FIX something that not there :)
If your fish healthy, you don't happen adding new fish because of impulsed buying without quarantine, you keep up the WC, feed right diet, no aggression that cause havoc in your tank then you just leave it alone and enjoy it.

Reactions: J. H.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I bought an in-tank UV to use on one of my old tanks after an algae bloom and it cleared it up quick, so I went ahead and left it in the tank but after the bulb died for the second time, I gave up on replacing it. I haven't had a problem like that since but if I did, you bet I'd use it again; in the meantime, as long as my tank looks good and has solid parameters, I don't plan on spending the extra money.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store