Vary the Menu

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Once reconstituted with water, Repashy consists of approx 75% water. Water is a non-nutrient. See more in following recent post, and past link contained in that post from several yrs ago when Repashy first hit the market.

Regarding water content, just a couple of examples. For most fish foods, the guaranteed analysis between the frozen version, and the freeze dried version, of a single unit (in the first example a single mysis) will be identical, the only real difference is that one will have 98% of its moisture removed.

When you dehydrate or freeze dry a food, it will shrink in size, but the protein/fat content remains the same. The only thing that changes is the amount of moisture, so one needs to be careful so as not to overfeed a freeze dried product (because it appears much smaller) than the same food in its original or frozen state.

So ounce for ounce a fish will glean far more protein out of a dry food, than they would the same amount (per ounce) of a frozen product, due the majority of the weight from a frozen food being from the high moisture content. The same applies to most pellets as most dry food products have approx. 10% moisture content (or less).

Water is a non nutrient, so while it may help increase palatability, and possibly aid in digestion, it will also make a fish reach satiation much quicker then if fed dry food. It's like drinking a couple of glasses of water, before you sit down for your platter of surf & turf. You won't be nearly as hungry. Probably a good thing for those that overfeed by large amounts, but not such a good thing for those that tend to under feed.

The following Nutritional analysis provided by Piscine Energetics (PE Mysis)

Frozen Mysis

Protein 10.46
Crude Fat 3.29
Moisture 82.27
Ash 1.65
Carbohydrates (by subtraction) 2.3

Guaranteed Analysis from dry weight (freeze dried)

Min Crude Protein 69.5%
Min Crude Fat 8.35%
Max Crude Fiber 2.75%
Max Ash 5.5%

Another example.

A typical analysis of freeze dried bloodworms.

Guaranteed Analysis
Min. Crude Protein...55%
Min. Crude Fat.....3%
Max. Crude Fiber.....5%
Max. Moisture..... 5%

A typical analysis of frozen bloodworms. (from the same manufacturer as above)

Guaranteed Analysis
Min. Crude Protein..........6.3%
Min. Crude Fat............... 0.8%
Max. Crude Fiber........... 0.3%
Max. Moisture.......91.2%

Approximate analysis of earthworms was completed by Dr. Carl Cater in the Oilseed Products Laboratory at Texas A&M. He reported that on the samples tested moisture (volatile) averaged 80.44%. A further analysis of freeze-dried earthworms indicated the following components: oil 6.8-7.1%, nitrogen 10.6 - 11.0%, protein 66.2 - 68.6% and ash 9.3 - 9.7%. This would indicate that on whole, live earthworms are less than 14% protein. Therefore its use as food or a feed supplement would probably be limited.

This is something that I attempted to explain when Repashy first hit the market several years ago. Some people got it, and some I reckon aren't so good at math.

To which the owner, Allen Repashy, never did answer the following question;

Can you please provide the members here with a nutritional analysis based on the finished product designed for carnivores, as in once the dry powder has been reconstituted with tap water? Thanks.

……. because if he had, it would have shown his finished formula, that was 75% water (give or take), containing but a small fraction of the nutrient levels shown on his packages, which he had listed on a dry matter basis.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Once reconstituted with water, Repashy consists of approx 75% water. Water is a non-nutrient. See more in following recent post, and past link contained in that post from several yrs ago when Repashy first hit the market.
Ok, I always liked it, that was just me though, I also dry it out and put chunks of it into tilapia and shrimp to get some extra nutrients into it

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I fed Tetramin flakes for over 40 years, and still do. Wardley's and lots of other food has made it into the worm farm.
It looks like the Petco I never shop at carries NLS products though. I may have seen a few of thm at the LFS I like, but if not I will talk him into it.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I wish the NLS algaemax came in a 3mm size. I have their Thera A in that size and it's the perfect size for all my fish to be able to eat, from my polys to the giant danios.

Lately I've started feeding a lot of Ken's Premium Vegetable sticks. my Pearsei and Flagtail eat the stuff like crazy. I prefer they eat as much of this stuff as possible and they definitely appear very healthy after making this the majority of their diet.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I bought the 12mm Algae Max at the LFS, but he didn't have the carnivore or cichlid formulas.

My Plecos are snarfing them right up.

I need to just order from Cheweys or somewhere online.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store