venustus + peacock + synodontis multipunctatus questions

aardvark1134

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2013
KY
I have a couple questions.

1st how big do peacocks and synodontis multipunctatus need to be to make sure a venustus won't eat them? I have heard 2 inches, 1/3 the size of the venustus and even 1/2 the size of the venustus.

2nd I have seen a lot of tanks with a large Male Mbuna bumblebee in there with the peacocks. Is the bumblebee a rare exception that can go with peacocks or are these tank owners going to wake up one day to half their fish killed by the bumblebee?

3rd I see a lot of store peacock tanks with multiple venustus in their all male peacock show tank and some of the venustus appear to be female. Can you really put more than 1 venustus in a 90 gallon? And are the others really a female venustus like they look or just scared males as I thought any female in a male peacock tank would be a disaster or is that just a female peacock that would make everyone fight?

Appreciate the help as I have had mbuna for years but this is my 1st peacock tank.

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
1st I Don't think the Venustus would be a problem unless the Peacocks are small fry and the Venustus is mature...wouldn't worry about Synos very much regardless. The thing you have to worry about is when a Nimbochromis is mature it can have the potential to be a real PITA for the other fish...just plain mean. So you might want sturdy Peackocks like a Jakes or Lwandas with them....however, I have seen them in peaceful tanks and they have been mild mannered too...it depends on the individual mostly. Currently, my Venustus in my new set-up tank leaves his tank mates alone, but he continually attacks my hand when I try to do maintenance....it startles me if I am not paying attention...he's not shy.

2nd Once again it simply depends on the individual make up...hyper-aggressive individuals can cause mayhem; yet, I have seen some mixed tanks that work. I don't think diet is a real issue because Mbuna and Haps can truly be fed the same high quality pellet no problem regardless of the herbivore/carnivore argument...and they will probably all feed like pigs. I guess another thing with aggression would be established territories and breeding mayhem with the Bumblebees. My guess is that Yellow Labs would be a better Mbuna than a Bumblebee...you might get some weird hybrid fry...but they will most likely get eaten anyway...by the Venustus and such.

3rd Females in the tank do get the males really wound up aggression wise, but in a tank with several species of haps, Peacocks...or Mbuna you have a high probability of hybrids...doesn't matter if they are Aulonocara or Haps. I have even seen some strange Hapbuna mixes. I think OB Peacocks were bred from Mbuna. A breeding harem of Venustus would create a hard life for other tank mates in a 4 foot tank I believe. I am sure some can make it work, but I personally would not even try it...

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
In a 90 gallon, if keeping a breeding harem of N. venustus, that's the only cichlids I would keep in that tank.

I think OB Peacocks were bred from Mbuna.
Correct, all OB peacocks and haps originated from a mbuna cross.

dboy420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
placentia
I've got a 6 inch mature male venustus in my tank and the smallest fish i got is only about 2 inches max . No problem here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store