Vieja community?

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
Heres my tank 280, 60 x 30 x 30, filtered by eheim 2282, and large wet dry with 125 gallon sump. Im thinking about vieja, buying 10 from COA, 2 of each spiecies and rehoming later so i end up with all males. What do you think?20210104_183154.jpg20210104_183104.jpg

Scout1984

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2019
Indiana
I was wanting to do something similar to this in the future. So just creepin to see what is said.

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
Scout1984 Scout1984 , yeah i was hoping for more responses and tips as well:ROFL:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I realize the temptation of keeping a favorite genera of cichlids together in the same tank.......
but in nature, you don't usually find more than one Vieja or other cichlids of the same genus in the same location.
Sholing species like Thorichthys are an exception
More than one species of Vieja would be competitors for the same resources in a limited area, things like, available food, or for breeding sites, and available space, so the one best adapted to the area would usually win out.
For these reasons I "now" never keep two species of a single genus in the same tank.
The other reason....
I don't want cross breeding, which is often what happens when keeping two similar individuals of a genus together, not that breeding is your intent.
But the idea that males won't fight over territory if a female isn't present, may work sometimes for some African cichlids, I have not found this to be the case with Central Americans.

I tried this type tank a couple decades ago, before I realized the implications.
I went to Don Conkels fish farm Florida , and brought back groups of half dozen genera of Vieja (and Vieja type) juvies.
It worked well until they all hit about 4-5", then the largest started taking out the smallest, until to save the rest, had to separate them by species.
Of course it may work in a 280 gal, but at adulthood, even a 280 gal may seem small for 5 full grown Vieja

Scout1984

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2019
Indiana
I realize the temptation of keeping a favorite genera of cichlids together in the same tank.......
but in nature, you don't usually find more than one Vieja or other cichlids of the same genus in the same location.
Sholing species like Thorichthys are an exception
More than one species of Vieja would be competitors for the same resources in a limited area, things like, available food, or for breeding sites, and available space, so the one best adapted to the area would usually win out.
For these reasons I "now" never keep two species of a single genus in the same tank.
The other reason....
I don't want cross breeding, which is often what happens when keeping two similar individuals of a genus together, not that breeding is your intent.
But the idea that males won't fight over territory if a female isn't present, may work sometimes for some African cichlids, I have not found this to be the case with Central Americans.

I tried this type tank a couple decades ago, before I realized the implications.
I went to Don Conkels fish farm Florida , and brought back groups of half dozen genera of Vieja (and Vieja type) juvies.
It worked well until they all hit about 4-5", then the largest started taking out the smallest, until to save the rest, had to separate them by species.
Of course it may work in a 280 gal, but at adulthood, even a 280 gal may seem small for 5 full grown Vieja
Good points, probably why you can't find much on the topic. I was thinking of doing an all male. May reconsider now.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
a 60x30x30 tank is more like 230 than 280 gallons, and a 5' tank is really not much room to try a community of vieja in my opinion. It is not small in gallonage, and it sounds like filtration would be more than adequate with your extra water in the 125 sump. But there would only be 5' of room in any direction for a targeted fish to run. I would prefer a standard 180 to those dimensions for a community like this, and I personally wouldn't think a 180 is enough room for an all-male vieja community.
Big vieja can be very mean, some species are right up there with parachromis and amphilophus etc. in my opinion. I would be concerned once your bruisers reach max size, that a dominant male would not want to share a 5' tank, certainly not with other large vieja males.
Personally think you would be much better off picking your favorite vieja species, growing out a big male, and keeping him with some tough smaller CA species that the vieja won't see as direct competition. Like Duane says, the conspecific aggression will usually be much higher than it will be towards other species/genus.
Salvini, convicts, bartoni, etc are examples of tough smaller species you would probably have better luck keeping with the vieja.
My two cents, if you try it and it works update us, I always love vieja community pics.

Reactions: Toiletcar

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Personally think you would be much better off picking your favorite vieja species, growing out a big male, and keeping him with some tough smaller CA species that the vieja won't see as direct competition.
I agree with this.
Or starting with 6 or 8 of the same Vieja favorite species juvies, in order to end up with a pair.
A pair could easily max out the space in a 5 ft tank.
Because most cichlids only break off chase at 4ft, a 5ft or even 6 ft tank, does not offer wiggle room for more than a pair.
In my tanks (6 fters) if I had Vieja, with other species of cichlids, I prefer something with an entirely different body shape, or mouth shape.
These factors indicate an entirely different way of making a living to eliminate competition, and flying under the Vieja radar as a threat to its domination..
An example might be Rheoheros lentiginosum, torpedo shaped, less high bodied or panfish shaped
1610727438041.png
another more torpedo shaped cichlid with totally different mouth shape Paraneetroplus gibbiceps, these turn a beautiful green as adults
1610727574935.png
Wajpamheros wesselli
1610727767107.png

Last edited:

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
Guys sorry there was a typo iys a 72 inch tank not 60. Do you think that pair of melanura with mekki or robertsoni could work? Possibly smaller pike cichlid down the road? Maybe clown loaches?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
It may work with Thorichthys, or Cribroheros both very different than Vieja.
As far as pikes go, the shape is very different so another possibility, although (a personal quirk, because I'm a purist, but also because S American water parameters are usually quite different) don't combine S Americans with Central Americans, or Asian fish like loaches in new world tanks for many of the same reasons.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Guys sorry there was a typo iys a 72 inch tank not 60. Do you think that pair of melanura with mekki or robertsoni could work? Possibly smaller pike cichlid down the road? Maybe clown loaches?
I’ve had almost zero aggression w/ a male melanura, with cribroheros and thorichthys in a 150g. Very colorful and active tank. The melanura was 13”.
Edit: nics too lol.

A1B35343-57AC-4EA3-9056-AB639E432325.jpeg

C41FD887-BE06-4576-A898-60DD234083D3.jpeg

5CB49B16-1983-418B-B03B-746DC778C6B2.jpeg

Reactions: thomeski
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store