Vieja Hartwegi info?

Zhen-Jou

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2019
Malaysia
My LFS has a tankful of 4cm individuals. Couldn't find much info on this fish and wanted to know more before potentially buying one, was wondering on the:

1. Potential max size
2. Minimum tank size
3. Diet
4. General aggression levels
5. Possible tank mates (like bichirs or other cichlids)
6. Growth rate

Thanks in advance

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: Zhen-Jou

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My LFS has a tankful of 4cm individuals. Couldn't find much info on this fish and wanted to know more before potentially buying one, was wondering on the:

1. Potential max size
2. Minimum tank size
3. Diet
4. General aggression levels
5. Possible tank mates (like bichirs or other cichlids)
6. Growth rate

Thanks in advance

duanes duanes
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami
Rocksor Rocksor

Reactions: Gourami Swami

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Jim Cummings info in the link.
My own experience with Vieja below
1) They easily hit 12" to 14"
2) minimum 6ft tank
3) Omnivores, heavy on vegetation
4) if the tank is too small, they can be very aggressive
5) They may not pay any attention to bichirs, but any similar looking cichlids may be a problem (especially if there is not enough space)
6) with proper care, and lots of water changes, they grow quite quickly.
Because they are a Mexican riverine species, they prefer high pH mineral rich water (ph around 8), with moderate to strong current, although they are quite adaptable.
Dither fish would provide security, and keep them from being jumpy,or hide, species like swordtails, mollies, and Astyanax tetras would be geographically correct tank mates.

Zhen-Jou

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2019
Malaysia
Hmmm, then I guess I'll pass on this species as I only have a 75g and a 55g at my disposal. Well if I ever get an upgrade I'll definitely revisit them in the future as their facial markings are spectacular.
Thanks duanes!

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
The pic in my avatar is a full grown, male harwitgi. It’s a beautiful fish that looks like synspillum or bifasiatus, and can be ID by the slight over bite. It’s peaceful to other fish, but intolerant to other Vieja species in not so spacious tanks as a male can reach 14”. He was the center piece fish in my 125 and a gentle giant to small cichlids that can fit into his mouth, but would bother other Vieja species approaching his size which I had to rehome one by one. Viejas in general do not have the aggressiveness as Midas or Jaguar, but can be skittish and easily startled.

Zhen-Jou

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2019
Malaysia
The pic in my avatar is a full grown, male harwitgi. It’s a beautiful fish that looks like synspillum or bifasiatus, and can be ID by the slight over bite. It’s peaceful to other fish, but intolerant to other Vieja species in not so spacious tanks as a male can reach 14”. He was the center piece fish in my 125 and a gentle giant to small cichlids that can fit into his mouth, but would bother other Vieja species approaching his size which I had to rehome one by one. Viejas in general do not have the aggressiveness as Midas or Jaguar, but can be skittish and easily startled.
Wow that's a stunning looking fish! Just a question, how long did it take for your Hartwegi to reach that size? Though I would only consider one once I have a large enough tank for these guys but I must add, I actually prefer the looks of the argentea and Breidohri which are higher up on my wish list

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store