zachsta18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
Does anybody here use Vodka in their aquarium? I have used it in the past to help establish new tanks and seen dramatic changes in water clarity and quality. I think it may have also helped get my biological filtration up and off the ground, but I'm not sure.

Anybody else have experiences with vodka in their tanks? Thoughts?

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Are you serious ?
Does anybody here use Vodka in their aquarium? I have used it in the past to help establish new tanks and seen dramatic changes in water clarity and quality. I think it may have also helped get my biological filtration up and off the ground, but I'm not sure.

Anybody else have experiences with vodka in their tanks? Thoughts?

Reactions: convict360

zachsta18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
Completely serious. The addition of ethanol adds free carbon to the tank and apparently can bind with phosphate and nitrate. This apparently stimulates bacterial growth. I was wondering what other peoples' experiences have been as I have done some reading, but would like to get the opinions of people here.

Here's something about it from Melev's Reef:
http://melevsreef.com/node/184

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I've heard of people using it before I've never used it. I only keep fresh and never heard of anyone using it for freshwater.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Given the price of this intelligence increaser ;) who would put this serum in aquarium to neutralize waste :D
I read a thread where a guy treated his tank for nitrates for a whole year off one $40 dollar bottle of vodka.....

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I read a thread where a guy treated his tank for nitrates for a whole year off one $40 dollar bottle of vodka.....
I have treated my aquariums for the last two-three years on $30 worth of Seachem Safe.

Reactions: milkman407

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
think it is a more common practice in saltwater aquariums but can't remember exactly why

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store