WAL Lateral Line Erosion

Monsterfishinmaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2018
Hi, i am new member in MFK. I have been following this amazing sites for a long time. I can find any information that i need in this website therefore i never sign up an account until now.

I have read a lot of threads in this lungfish subforum and i also search online, but i can not find any reference or picture about lungfish lateral line errosion.

So i get my 12" WAL last month, my wife name him louise and we love him very much. The bad news is that he has been in a quarantine 30 gal container for a month. I broke the new custom made 70 gal tank that i prepare as the growout tank for the WAL. That is why he ended up in the container. I use sponge filter from my established tank for the quarantine and i do 50% wc everyday to remove the leftover foods from the messy WAL. He feed on hikari singking carnivore pellets, hikari algae wafer, hikari vibra bites, frozen shrimp and tuna.

So a few days ago, the tank finished and running. So i move Louise to the tank. He lost his coloration due to light colored background of tha container, but only after 2 days in the new tank, he got his dark coloration and black spots back. That is when i notice a lot of holes around his eyes. I try to find out is it LLE but i can not find any picture online. I did not notice if he had the hole when i first got him because he directly wnt into the container and i only can observer him from above.

So is there anyone that could help me to id if it is LLE or not (picture attached), and if it is LLE, what is the best medication and how to prevent it?

I know that lungfish need vegetable matter in their diet and i have reas that providing algae wafer in the diet will help. Louise loves algae wafer and he feed on the wafer every day. Your help and input will be much appreciated. Thank you

NB: sorry for any grammatical or sentence structure mistakes, english is not my first languange. Thank you

15351736853733103019692898763134.jpg 15351737253756286027290192389909.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Don’t look like clear lateral line erosion. Might be from stress of being in a 30g tub. Seen other lung fish with pronounced looking later lines. Would watch and keep up the water changes.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Just keep up with water changes, and he'll be fine, sometimes this is even a natural thing

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Looks perfect to me, the holes are just the Natural sensory pits no?

Monsterfishinmaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2018
Don’t look like clear lateral line erosion. Might be from stress of being in a 30g tub. Seen other lung fish with pronounced looking later lines. Would watch and keep up the water changes.
Hi! Thank you for your information. It is a relief. I will do 20% water change everyday

Just keep up with water changes, and he'll be fine, sometimes this is even a natural thing
Hi! Thank you for your help. I will proceed with the daily 20% water change. It is a relief that my WAL is ok.

Looks perfect to me, the holes are just the Natural sensory pits no?
Hi! Thank you for the reply. I can not find any picture of lungfish LLE online, that's why i am worried about the holes. I am so relief if they are in fact sensory pits not LLE.

It is my first lungfish, any advice and recommendation will be appreciated. Thank you

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
All fish have sensory pits just kings look a little different, focus on taking care and saving for the monster tank he will need:)

Monsterfishinmaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2018
All fish have sensory pits just kings look a little different, focus on taking care and saving for the monster tank he will need:)
Yes i am aware about the sensory pit, in this case i am confused because i can not find any LLE picture. Thank you for the clarification

I have the 110gal ready for him, right now the 110 gal is being used as growouts for my bichirs, oscar and silver dollars. They will be moved into 260 gal in a few months and the WAL will be going into the 110 gal.

I wonder if 110 gal will be okay for WAL for a lifetime?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
He will likely get to around 2.5-3 foot long and as fat as a man's thigh. 300g would be the minimum really. Not sure on their growth rate but I would imagine over 2ft in 3 years.

Monsterfishinmaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2018
He will likely get to around 2.5-3 foot long and as fat as a man's thigh. 300g would be the minimum really. Not sure on their growth rate but I would imagine over 2ft in 3 years.
I though they only need 100 gal. I read about it on the sticky.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I saw that, everywhere I read the max size is 3ft+ in the wild. And over 30" in captivity.
I'm not sure that would be fair in an 18" wide tank.maybe I'm missing something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store