WAL Lateral Line Erosion

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ok, so several of the wale I came across must be misidentified?
id say they were probably p. aethiopicus if over
That lung is awesome tho, why did you sell him, have any pros and cons keeping lungs? Highlights of the lung keeping journey?
all lung species are great, personable fish to own IMO...tank mates can be eatin at will and they can take a finger clean off at larger sizes lol.. only reason i parted with my reg WAL was to get the "king of lungs" IMO which is P. Aethiopicus... and in albino :) . 5-6' and big around as a 2 liter pop bottle. aside from aussie lungs they are the largest and most robust. They can be kept in a 125-180g no prob even at 6'. Great glass banger and a true MFK specimen.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Your flagtail ever suck on your lungfish's slime coat?
Nope, lung would have bit him in half lol... he did enjoy sucking on the gars slime coat tho. Ive found they pick on fish if not in a tank with consistent algea or substrate to pick at instead. Currently have the same flagtail with rays no prob.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Would love to see a video of a lung glass banging?
Got any pics of your new monster?
There's a marbled lung for sale local, guess it's a monster species...

Monsterfishinmaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2018
I saw that, everywhere I read the max size is 3ft+ in the wild. And over 30" in captivity.
I'm not sure that would be fair in an 18" wide tank.maybe I'm missing something.
My tank is 24" wide. I know the wide can not accomodate the lung. But i can not afford 300 gal just for a lung. And not to mention "no tankmate"

Lungs do not need big tanks i agree
and IMO a 110 will be fine...P. anetecens over 36" are pretty hard to come by and will take many years to outgrow that 110 if they even ever do. my WAL was 33" at 10yrs old. Got some close up pics for u of the sensory pits also. had to do some digging through old photos. Before i got rid of him he was actually in a 110gal tub roughly 30"x4'... id say a 75gal footprint 48"x18" is bare minimum for these guys solo... they turn and get around just fine. dont move much either.
View attachment 1332103 View attachment 1332104 View attachment 1332105
Thank you for your information and pictures, now i guess all lungs got those big sensory pit holes.

Your lung was fat and nice, but why it did not have any black spot?

They can get up to five feet, but that takes a loooong time
I do not think WAL get that big. Not from what i read.

Is that considered ok a 30" fish in an 18" wide !?
I wouldn't feel comfortable having a fish in a tank that wasn't at least as wide as the fish was long and twice the length of the fish if I'm honest.
:confused::confused::confused:

That lung is awesome tho, why did you sell him, have any pros and cons keeping lungs? Highlights of the lung keeping journey?
False... only P. aethiopicus will reach 5-6'... max size for p. annectens or WAL is 39"
I agree

Ok, so several of the wale I came across must be misidentified?
For most any other 30" fish id say no....for lungs, more than fine. they can live in a mud hole for yrs on end. IMO its not cruel or anything. They really dont move much and the shallow water of a small tank is actually benificial to them for ease of breathing. they really are best kept alone in a box lol...
Yes. My lung will just stay still all day long. Moving occasionally, go up to the surface and take a breath, and only become active if food is present

Agreeed shallow water is where they thrive
How shallow would you recommend?

And when they said African lungs lived for years in holes, they were not kidding.

Yes. I see a lot of video about lungfish hunting

Your flagtail ever suck on your lungfish's slime coat?
People have collected mud bricks for huts/houses and then had lungs pop out of the walls when it rains!
:eek::eek::eek:

id say they were probably p. aethiopicus if over

all lung species are great, personable fish to own IMO...tank mates can be eatin at will and they can take a finger clean off at larger sizes lol.. only reason i parted with my reg WAL was to get the "king of lungs" IMO which is P. Aethiopicus... and in albino :) . 5-6' and big around as a 2 liter pop bottle. aside from aussie lungs they are the largest and most robust. They can be kept in a 125-180g no prob even at 6'. Great glass banger and a true MFK specimen.
Omg. A true monster lung. In my country, WAL is the most common and it is pricey. I get my 10" WAL for $150.

Nope, lung would have bit him in half lol... he did enjoy sucking on the gars slime coat tho. Ive found they pick on fish if not in a tank with consistent algea or substrate to pick at instead. Currently have the same flagtail with rays no prob.
Will the flagtail slime coat sucking bring harm to other fish? How can we prevent it from sucking slime coat?

Would love to see a video of a lung glass banging?
Got any pics of your new monster?
There's a marbled lung for sale local, guess it's a monster species...
I would like to check out the video too

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
M Monsterfishinmaking WAL's can be found with a few different colors ranging from grey to brown to tan...the spots also vary for each individual lung. Ive had the browner version with more spots like urs also. kept the grey base for longer as it was more unique to me at the time. He also had more spots similiar to yours at smaller sizes and became more grey base as he aged. Probably just different area/collection points.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If your tank/pond is for the lung only than I'd do about a foot of water, they spend a lot of time in very shallow water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store