want to get rid of aipatsia

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
If you don't care about killing off the bacteria and having to cycle the new aquarium, then why not just put it in a bleach solution for 24 hours or more? That will certainly kill them all for sure, and you'll just need to soak the rock in a Prime/Amquel/other chlorine remover solution for a few days after that to be sure that all the chlorine is gone.
Good point.

asing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
New Hampshire
I thought about that but was kinda nervous about bleach getting deep into the rock, the last thing I want is to have some leak out later. Trying for a "natural" cure if possible. Im thinking I will do a test run in the next couple of days with smaller piece just to see what happens (with some fresh water), if it works awesome, if not maybe will look into the bleach. If I am still nervous after looking it up, rock will get pulled out and dried.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you're worried about the bleach, then you could always try soaking the rocks in scaling hot/boiling water although I wouldn't have the rock in with the water while it was boiling in order to keep the rock from exploding due to the gas bubbles expanding. Extreme heat and/or harsh chemicals, e.g. bleach, will kill them far faster and avoid any leftover spores than cold RO/DI or leaving them out to dry.

asing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
New Hampshire
I would but, those can get expensive when buying a bunch of them. I dont think any of the lfs near me have them. One might I think I remember seeing nudibranch, but cant remember if it was the bergia or just a decorative slug.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Keep it simple. Use pickling lime. Can be gounf in any grocery store. Its a white powder.
Simply mix a little with RO water. Make a paste out of it. When inject it in the cap of the aiptasia.
It will kill it off with out hurting your corals and spreading the aiptasia. If your are infested. Just do a small section a day or every other day.
Wont take long. I did this and have NEVER gotten it again.

When killing aiptasia, you just have to make sure it doesnt spread when killing it off. Ive found this is the best way to do it.. Works well. Is safe for your tank and takes care of it fast. But like I said, if you have alot of it, do small sections every day or other day (other day would be best). That way you give time for your skimmer to pull any extra PL out of your water before adding more. If you make it a paste, this helps in not spreading the aiptasia as well as not having PL spreading all thru your tank..

asing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
New Hampshire
Honestly, i counted over 60, and that wasnt even 1/4 of the rock, and wasnt even the most infested area. I just dont think its plausible to try to inject all the visible ones, im thinkin there has to be atleast 300+ in there im prob just going to ro water dip for a couple days.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
If I had that problem I would spend the $$ on the nudibranches and in a few months it should be gone....or if money is tight I would remove all livestock and start over...basically placing rocks in the tank and then fill it with ro water and leave it for a few weeks to a month. Also throw a blanket or something on the tank...keep it completely dark.

How large is this tank?

http://www.saltyunderground.com/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=70

put in tank size and it will tell you how many branches should get the job done if interested in this idea.

Good Luck I use to have a lot...they just slowly went away.. still have some

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store