Wanted: Charax Gibbosus.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Lizardking;3473275; said:
I got four of these in my 63g with discus and a hujeta, no problems with the discus but I suspect that they are the ones that have eaten on the hujetas tail, (check my thread in the photo lounge about it).
Ive read that charax gibbosus grows to around 15cm, my guys are around 10, and since they are with discus Im powerfeeding them with beefheart, so it should be interresting to see how big they can get with that diet and lots of wcs.
wheres pics at buddy

Umbra

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
From my previous experience (albeit limited, only had 6 for about ~9mos) they do well with other small semi aggressive but quiet characins like Roeboides and large Crenuchus. NO EXODONS! Exodons just beat the living hell out of them and a few exodons can kill off a shoal overnight (ask me how I know :irked:)

Cichlids, I had the most luck with larger dwarfs and dwarf pikes (if you see the cichlids breed make sure there's enough space because they will hammer the Charax in smaller tanks). Larger more aggressive cichlids just treat them like unusual target fish and they're usually dead in a day or two - they're more delicate than your typical barb/danio dithers.

Almost any bottom dweller that can't eat them/vice versa will work well, I had mine with Brochis sp. and some large Microglanis iheringi. They seem to kinda pick at other characins (as most tetra type fish do) but largely ignore anything dissimilarly shaped that's too big to swallow. While I've never actually tried them together, I think thatthings like Ctenopoma acutirostris and Monocirrhus polycanthus would work as would Anostomus and/or smaller Leporinus sp.

Retuks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
Kaneohe
Xiao;3473753; said:
From my previous experience (albeit limited, only had 6 for about ~9mos) they do well with other small semi aggressive but quiet characins like Roeboides and large Crenuchus. NO EXODONS! Exodons just beat the living hell out of them and a few exodons can kill off a shoal overnight (ask me how I know :irked:)

Cichlids, I had the most luck with larger dwarfs and dwarf pikes (if you see the cichlids breed make sure there's enough space because they will hammer the Charax in smaller tanks). Larger more aggressive cichlids just treat them like unusual target fish and they're usually dead in a day or two - they're more delicate than your typical barb/danio dithers.

Almost any bottom dweller that can't eat them/vice versa will work well, I had mine with Brochis sp. and some large Microglanis iheringi. They seem to kinda pick at other characins (as most tetra type fish do) but largely ignore anything dissimilarly shaped that's too big to swallow. While I've never actually tried them together, I think thatthings like Ctenopoma acutirostris and Monocirrhus polycanthus would work as would Anostomus and/or smaller Leporinus sp.
any clue why they only lasted 9 months??

bitteraspects

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
ExoDon Juan
Xiao;3473753; said:

thats because they are basically just Astyanax bimaculatus but a different shape. although they might look "mean" they are not. lol. you could keep these with just about anything. :ROFL:

ryeguy28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
rocky mount,NC
i wish these would have gotten in but it looks like it never happend i would have been able to keep my fw tanks if i had dropped money on these

Retuks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
Kaneohe
ryeguy28;3521275; said:
i wish these would have gotten in but it looks like it never happend i would have been able to keep my fw tanks if i had dropped money on these
whaaat. why would u switch to sw? lemme tell you, i used to be a saltwater guy but this was years ago.

i love the ease of freshwater.. why didn't you give me your wilson needle =(? lol.

ryeguy28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
rocky mount,NC
yea i wanted to keep my fw but money was low so i sold both fw so now i got one sw and im starting a 40-55gal sw in a couple of months

if i would have gotten these i would have sold my sw instead :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store