Water aeration.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Oxygen available to fish primarily comes from the atmosphere, so there are two ways, primarily, to enhance dissolved oxygen in your tank, air stones or surface agitation with a filter and/or wavemaker-- that surface agitation enhances the gas exchange taking place. A somewhat turbulent outflow adds more oxygen vs. very smooth flow. Plants also add oxygen when they're performing photosynthesis.

Matter of preference, but I like filter/wavemaker surface agitation over air stones due to being quieter (unless water level is low) and you get less mineral deposits on glass tops, hood lid or lights, tank rim, etc. over time, vs. air bubbles constantly breaking at the surface. So, while I used to add an air stone if needed (because I wanted more surface current than a filter produced), I now prefer a wavemaker. That said, some just like the look of the bubbles.

As far as nano stone vs. regular, I'd think it would depend on the total surface area of the bubbles produced by a particular unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishman Dave

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with neutrino.
I don't use airstones, I prefer strong water pumps that produce lots of surface agitation, to help promote gas exchange.
It's not just about adding oxygen, its also about getting rid of other dissolved gases, and keeping the surface free of substances that hinder gas exchange.The waters surface collects more deleterious substances than the substrate, they are just mostly invisible to the casual observer.
Below isa video of minimum flow and agitation i prefer on tanks. Since my tanks are outside, noise is not a concern.
Flow
But if I didn't use water pumps, venturi tubes and airstones would be my next go to.
1664654634717.png
Above is a venture tube attached to a water pump line.
Below a venturi tube itself.
1664654721578.png

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
And personally I go the opposite direction. The exchange of gas happens with the increase in surface area. An airstone adds multiple times more surface area than a wave maker so imo is a no brainier. In 40 years have never had an issue with a tank with an airstone but have had multiple issues with tanks without and with just surface agitation.
The finer the bubbles the greater the surface contact between “air” and water although then the less the surface disturbance too so there will be an ideal “bubble size”.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
It applies to the surface of the tank water. The air stone bubbles will agitate the surface but only directly above the stone. One thing to be careful with nano airstones is they can produce microbubbles, which in a low flow rate tank should dissipate at the surface but in a mid to strong flow tank can get caught in the flow and make the water look cloudy. Usually repostioning will help but I've ditched a couple stones completely in the past

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I would agree that circulation pumps or wavemakers or whatever they are called nowadays are probably the best method of aeration, especially if a venturi air intake is added to produce those wonderful bubbles. I've read and heard a lot of people stating that the bubbles themselves are the primary source of aeration, which I personally don't believe...but they can't possibly hurt. IMHO, it's the water circulation that is produced, moving water through the tank in a current which exposes all the water to the surface where it can experience maximum gas exchange.

If you have only one or two tanks...or if you literally don't care about efficiency, cost, etc...then water pumps are the way to go. But if you have multiple aquariums and must pay at least some attention to efficiency and costs, then it's hard not to swing towards airstones and airpumps. A central air pump that feeds multiple airstones and/or sponge filters is an absolute godsend. Adding extra filters, quickly setting up extra tanks for fry, quarantine, isolation, etc is literally as simple as adding another airline and dropping in an airstone.

I use water pumps and sumps in my larger tanks and systems, but even those always have at least an airstone, usually powering a sponge filter, in each individual tank. It's a terrific fail-safe feature; if the water pump malfunctions, or the circle trips (you do use GFCI's, don't you?) or you simply forget to turn the water pump back on after feeding, servicing, etc...the airstone is still bubbling merrily away, and punching way above its weight/cost in terms of maintaining your tank.

I wonder: of the serious aquarists who own and maintain numerous multiple tanks...especially if they are breeders...how many of them actually mess with individual water pumps in each tank? And, conversely, how many use a central air system and airstones in each tank? I suspect that almost anyone who knows such a hobbyist and has seen the fishroom in question...knows the answer to that question.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store