Water Aging

upaquariest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
Houghton MI
I have been wanting to setup a aging tank for a while now. Up until now I have been either filling directly from the tap and treating the whole tank. Not the greatest with water from the tap at 8.2 and extremely hard. or batch treating with a 5 gal culligan. Taking out 10 or so gallons and then treating 5 gals at a time with wardleys ph 6.5 3 in 1 and filling the tank back up. Works well for now but when I go back to school I will no longer have the time, room, or amibition to do this. I have tried a couple different ideas for setting up an aging tank. I have a 20 gal rubbermade tub and a 2000 gph sump pump, I know this is way way to much for what I need but home depot had em on sale for $25. I would like to use carbon and peet to remove chlorine heavy metals and soften the water and lower the ph. Any suggestions or plans?

chico3611

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
North NJ
You dont have to worry about removing chlorine (if anything add an airline) if your aging the water the chlorine will be removed just with air. I use carbon for mine. Just that carbon and an airline and a few days and its good to go.

KoiGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
ca
chloramine is not so easily dissipated with aerated water.
It must be treated with de-chloraminators.

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
the water i use i have a pump on it airatting it and it sits for about two weeks to over amonth befor i use it, i have a heater on it... well its a bit over kill its a empty 150 that i realy dont have a use for right now, but i would use a dechlorenator...

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
how big a WC do you do?
i just fill up 2 2.5 gal jugs and put dechlor. in and shake for like a minute. water's crystal clear and fish are fine. if you're REALLY worried about it get an RO unit.

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
BIGgourami;772142; said:
how big a WC do you do?
i just fill up 2 2.5 gal jugs and put dechlor. in and shake for like a minute. water's crystal clear and fish are fine. if you're REALLY worried about it get an RO unit.
myself, it depends, 25-40 weekly up to 50 i just like having a bunch just incase something happens, then i dont have to wait, i have the water hamdy, i refill it every two months, reain amd lean it every 6, works for me but now i think i have a spot for the tank so om hoing to go the brute 60gallon garbage can route..., with one of those toilet autofills...

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
KoiGuy;771952; said:
chloramine is not so easily dissipated with aerated water.
It must be treated with de-chloraminators.
Chloramines never dissipates...

BIGgourami;772142; said:
how big a WC do you do?

my nursery tanks get more of a water change...:ROFL:

upaquariest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
Houghton MI
i do a 10 gal tues and thurs with a 15 to 20 gal on the weekends, so tops of 40 a week. Right now isnt neccessarily the problem. I am in apartment for now, next fall I will be moving back into a fraternity house, not alot of room and the way my room is I have no more then 6" of clearance between the top of the tank and the ceiling, so i cant pout water into the tank directly. Right now i just treat using wardley 6.5 in a 5 gal water jug works fine but i would like to start setting something up thats a little less messy, and i can work out the kinks now when i have the time, money and stores (isnt a whole lot available in houghton mi) available to me. So again i guess my question is. Just some charcoal some peet a couple air stones let it sit for 2 or 3 days and it should be fine? Maybe through in some chloromine conditioner as i fill the tank

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
Dr Joe;773186; said:
my nursery tanks get more of a water change...:ROFL:
22.5 my bad
it's this bucket/tub/container thing i got from a rock "dealer". large surface area. great for gas exchange.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store