Water Change

HardBodyBullies1

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
Conyers,GA
Hows it going MFK? Wanted to get suggestions/opinions on how often you do water changes and what chemicals do you use? I have a few flowerhorn in a tank and they are pretty messy. Did my first water change on them and the water is still kind of cloudy. I feed twice a day about 15 pellets each, 3 of them in the tank.
Please help
Thanks

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How long has aquarium been setup, and how large is aquarium also list your water parameters so we can assist you.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Depending on the size of the tank, I think %50-75 a week would be enough. Like tlindsey said, we need to know the tank size, parameters, and how long it's been set up if you want.something more accurate.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I do weekly wc's and treat water with prime, imo you may be over feeding and your bio-filtration can't keep up with the bio-load.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I do weekly 50-60% water changes on my 29 that houses my two juvie fire eels (they are going into my 220 as soon as I get it setup). I also do weekly 90-95% water changes on my sons 10 gallon thank that has 6 glo tetras, 2 glo tiger barbs, 2 neon tetras, 4 cory cats and a clown pleco (about 2" long). I know the 10 is pretty overstocked and I should honestly probably be doing 2-3 water changes per week on it but this is all I can do at the moment.

I always add 5ml of API stress coat per every 5 gallons added to the aquarium. I mix it with the water while it's still in buckets, give it a few minutes, and then add it to the aquariums.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I should have added this earlier... I like to use API Tap water conditioner. I can buy 1 gallon for $25 or less and have it last me well over a year even with my water change schedule.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I should have added this earlier... I like to use API Tap water conditioner. I can buy 1 gallon for $25 or less and have it last me well over a year even with my water change schedule.
I have some of that as a backup, in case I run out of the stress coat. I have found the stress coat to be a little bit more expensive, but I think it's better for the fish, overall. It helps limit their stress and promotes a healthy slime coat. It also removes chlorine/chloramine from the water. Just my opinion on it and why I like to use it, but it's probably not necessary.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I have some of that as a backup, in case I run out of the stress coat. I have found the stress coat to be a little bit more expensive, but I think it's better for the fish, overall. It helps limit their stress and promotes a healthy slime coat. It also removes chlorine/chloramine from the water. Just my opinion on it and why I like to use it, but it's probably not necessary.
Stress coat works by irritating the fish's skin to produce more slime. If I were a fish that wouldn't reduce stress. It would increase it.

Reactions: ucantkillme89

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I keep flowerhorns they're messy eaters but my water quality has never been bad. Might want to consider over filtering your tank. I do water changes by taking out the water and adding prime before I fill up that's it. Doesn't get too cloudy but the next morning it's crystal clear again.

What's your tank size and filter on it? I feed 4 red Texas two Flowerhorn loaches and vieja maybe 50-60 pellets everyday. Never an issue with water chemistry or cloudiness.

I'm on a sump and have polyfil and bio balls and pot scrubbers.

Reactions: HardBodyBullies1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store