Water changes/auto drip

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
My tank sits between the living and dining room as a peninsula. I know it will take tapping into the kitchen OR water tank and run in the crawl space. My concern is how it would likely come up from the floor. Then there's likely running the pipe that i would want to drain from the overflow from the sump. Likely a hole on the wall where the tank is closest to the wall where the pipe would take the water out to a designated area/gutter/drain. Then i start to cringe how that would look. I think I could do a decent job, maybe, but my fear is making a mess.

Then I end up just reading and posting in vain on an existing thread on MFK LOL...

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
My tank sits between the living and dining room as a peninsula. I know it will take tapping into the kitchen OR water tank and run in the crawl space. My concern is how it would likely come up from the floor. Then there's likely running the pipe that i would want to drain from the overflow from the sump. Likely a hole on the wall where the tank is closest to the wall where the pipe would take the water out to a designated area/gutter/drain. Then i start to cringe how that would look. I think I could do a decent job, maybe, but my fear is making a mess.

Then I end up just reading and posting in vain on an existing thread on MFK LOL...
Sometimes you just gotta go for it. You may surprise yourself and have it come out better than you expect. I think half the battle of a big DIY project is going into it with the confidence that you can get the results you are after. Only one way to find out...

Reactions: DN328

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Sometimes you just gotta go for it. You may surprise yourself and have it come out better than you expect. I think half the battle of a big DIY project is going into it with the confidence that you can get the results you are after. Only one way to find out...
Yup, this is certainly true. I see this as being more intrusive to my house than the tank and sump itself. I need to visualize how Id do the sump overflow to drain old water, but not entirely clear now. I need to see a clean implementation that I can visualize.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Yup, this is certainly true. I see this as being more intrusive to my house than the tank and sump itself. I need to visualize how Id do the sump overflow to drain old water, but not entirely clear now. I need to see a clean implementation that I can visualize.
Now your talking my language! I've always felt if I can visualize something clearly, I can make it a reality!

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Skip the heated portion. Would probably be a better idea to get a good understanding of drip before adding complexity like temp. Do straight cold water through a carbon filter.
Do i need the carbon filter ? Im on well water and have a home filtrarion system
I've found simpler is better with drip. Mine is very simple...

25 psi regulator coming off a cold water line. You can buy these for less than $10 on ebay/amazon

1/4" nipple adapter cheap on ebay

1/4" airline tubing

Drip emitter you can also use an airline valve. Emitters are cheap and usually sold 10 in a bag for a couple bucks.

I tee'd off a cold water line in my basement, ran it up through the floor by the tank. Put a 3/4" threaded adapter. Screwed the 25 psi regulator to that. Screwed the 1/4" nipple adapter to that. Pushed the airline onto that and stick the drip emitter on the other end and attached it to the rim of the tank. My drip emitters have 10 "click" settings. I ran it into a 5 gallon bucket and timed how long it took to fill it. Was able to make adjustments to figure out how many gallons per day would work best. I also installed a home water filtration system in the cold water line so I don't worry about running through a carbon filter at the tank any more
Haha gonna have to read that a few times
Im the exact way i need to see pics to understand things. ragun cajun had to make a vid of his herbies for me then it all clicked

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
[QUOTE="jaws7777, post: 7780150, member: 121129"

Have you thought about switching to sand and dosing with ridx ? I swear it works i havent gravel vac'd for a couple of
I have thought about going sand for aesthetic reasons, but I also like the black river rock look too.

I like the ridx idea with sand, tell me more and any particular reading I should do? What are the negatives with that approach?[/QUOTE]

J jaws7777 :)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I have thought about going sand for aesthetic reasons, but I also like the black river rock look too.

I like the ridx idea with sand, tell me more and any particular reading I should do? What are the negatives with that approach?

J jaws7777 :)[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn i replied...sorry dude.

Read rd's sticky in the health section
I do 1 tbls spoon per 75 to 100 gal in a fine mesh bag after a wc. Squeeze the hell out of it. Water will stay cloudy for a few days on the 1st few doses but afterwards will be crystal clear over night.

Reactions: DN328

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
J jaws7777 :)

I do 1 tbls spoon per 75 to 100 gal in a fine mesh bag after a wc. Squeeze the hell out of it. Water will stay cloudy for a few days on the 1st few doses but afterwards will be crystal clear over night.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I know I have read his writeups, but I have to do that with more of a focus this time .

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

I do 1 tbls spoon per 75 to 100 gal in a fine mesh bag after a wc. Squeeze the hell out of it. Water will stay cloudy for a few days on the 1st few doses but afterwards will be crystal clear over night.
Thanks. I know I have read his writeups, but I have to do that with more of a focus this time .[/QUOTE]

Its the one called probiotics in aquaculture.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store