Water question

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
If you just have a Marineland hob then you definitely more biofiltration
my tank is 50gal and the filter is for a 75gal
Hello; I think what is being suggested is that the beneficial bacteria (bb) your tank should have need surfaces on which to grow.

I tend to part ways a bit with many on just what these surfaces can be. Some tend to assume the surfaces in a filter are where the bb will colonize. While this is true, I feel that the bb will colonize on many other surfaces as well. My take being most any solid surface will have some bb. I also think there is likely to be more bb colonies where there is some water flow.

My thinking being that one type of bb feed on ammonia and the other feed on nitrites. These "bb foods" are in the water. However the bb themselves are a film (bio film) almost entirely on solid surfaces and very little in the water itself.
Back decades ago before power filters were common I ran tanks on filters operated by air pump bubblers. Very little water flow compared to modern power filters.

I also usually ran the under gravel filters (UGF). I still do. These filters set up a flow thru the substrate and in effect make the substrate into a bed for the bb to colonize. Now a days these UGF's can be run by powerheads and can be set up to have reverse flow which should make the substrate an even better bb bed.

Yes you can go the multiple power filter route that have chambers for media designed to give the bb a place to make a home and that will work.

One other question. Do you run an air bubbler? I have run them in nearly all tanks for decades. Lots of positive stuff with their use.

Jose_muniz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2017
Hello; I think what is being suggested is that the beneficial bacteria (bb) your tank should have need surfaces on which to grow.

I tend to part ways a bit with many on just what these surfaces can be. Some tend to assume the surfaces in a filter are where the bb will colonize. While this is true, I feel that the bb will colonize on many other surfaces as well. My take being most any solid surface will have some bb. I also think there is likely to be more bb colonies where there is some water flow.

My thinking being that one type of bb feed on ammonia and the other feed on nitrites. These "bb foods" are in the water. However the bb themselves are a film (bio film) almost entirely on solid surfaces and very little in the water itself.
Back decades ago before power filters were common I ran tanks on filters operated by air pump bubblers. Very little water flow compared to modern power filters.

I also usually ran the under gravel filters (UGF). I still do. These filters set up a flow thru the substrate and in effect make the substrate into a bed for the bb to colonize. Now a days these UGF's can be run by powerheads and can be set up to have reverse flow which should make the substrate an even better bb bed.

Yes you can go the multiple power filter route that have chambers for media designed to give the bb a place to make a home and that will work.

One other question. Do you run an air bubbler? I have run them in nearly all tanks for decades. Lots of positive stuff with their use.
No I don’t have a air bubbler should i get one?

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
I do have a marineland bio filter my tank is 50gal and the filter is for a 75gal
I understand what you're saying. The amount of the biofiltration is related more to the size of the bioload than the water volume. I run a marineland hob, a Filstar XPL canister and a sponge filter powered by an airpump on a 75 gallon I have with 3 adult JDs. The problem with HOB filters is they don't have much space for biomedia. Even a medium size canister is going to have around 7-9 liters of space.

What do you have in the emperor or penguin? You're still getting readings for ammonia right?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
No I don’t have a air bubbler should i get one?
Hello; Tanks can and have been run without them. I have done it both with and without. I prefer with.
One of the advantages is the bubbles constantly break up the surface. This keeps a protein film from forming on the water surface. Also helps maintain a level of oxygen. Back when power filters failed every couple of days a bubbler kept my tanks going.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Hey bro, nice tank! What is your stock list?

Some of those fish might get too big for your tank very soon... You may need to upgrade pretty quick. The water quality will improve either with less fish or more frequent water changes. Can you give us some of your water parameters? The tank might still be cycling, depending on when you set it up.

I would recommend keeping the feeders in a different tank and treating them for disease before you feed them. Having them in your main tank direct from the fish store can introduce diseases and stuff.

Filter ratings are for the most part meaningless. I can filter a 500 gallon tank with a filter rated for 10 gallons if I have 1 guppy in it... Conversely, a filter "rated" for 300 gallons won't be enough for a 120 gallon tank filled with 20 oscars. It all depends on bioload (amount of poop and pee your fish produce).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store