Water suddenly cloudy

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Very interesting, thanks for the advice! Ill keep your suggestions in mind. With doing such big water changes, do you add anything special after a change? For example stress coat or melafix or anything like that. I'm always worried about my tap water. It's softened with salt so I'm never sure if my fish like the brand new tap water coming into the tank when I change my tank water.
Do you have city water?
If so, you probably have chlorine and/or chloramine.....very bad for fish. If this is the case, you need a dechlirinator such as Seachem Prime.
Do not add Melafix! It is not a water treatment.
I have welll water so I do not need to use any water
treatment.
I use a whole house water softening system so that's what my fish live in now

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Stress Coat is fine as a dechlorinator, but most of us here prefer Prime

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
Do you have city water?
If so, you probably have chlorine and/or chloramine.....very bad for fish. If this is the case, you need a dechlirinator such as Seachem Prime.
Do not add Melafix! It is not a water treatment.
I have welll water so I do not need to use any water
treatment.
I use a whole house water softening system so that's what my fish live in now
I have well water, not city. I have a whole house water softener as well. And I usually just add some stress coat when I do my changes. Melafix when I notice some damaged fins when my fish beef.

Reactions: Mvrenko

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have well water, not city. I have a whole house water softener as well. And I usually just add some stress coat when I do my changes. Melafix when I notice some damaged fins when my fish beef.
You're in luck, you no longer need Stress Coat.
Fins will heal on its own with good water quality. Good water quality comes from adequate water changes. I've gotten rid of Melafix awhile ago. ...not necessary

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
You're in luck, you no longer need Stress Coat.
Fins will heal on its own with good water quality. Good water quality comes from adequate water changes. I've gotten rid of Melafix awhile ago. ...not necessary
This is all new info to me lol, one last question for you and I thank you for your feedback so far. I've heard around that major water changes could cause a tank to go into a new "cycle" and through the balance of parameters off. That's the main concern of mine when doing big changes. Is that true?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
This is all new info to me lol, one last question for you and I thank you for your feedback so far. I've heard around that major water changes could cause a tank to go into a new "cycle" and through the balance of parameters off. That's the main concern of mine when doing big changes. Is that true?
This typically happens when people don't change their water for months which by that time had altered in its chemistry, due to fish waste level accumulating in excess. Then they do a big water change which now mixes two different chemistry and that gets everything messed up and the fish pays the price

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
This typically happens when people don't change their water for months which by that time had altered in its chemistry, due to fish waste level accumulating in excess. Then they do a big water change which now mixes two different chemistry and that gets everything messed up and the fish pays the price
Understandable, and I've never gone that long without a change. So overall you're saying I'm ok to start to commence larger water changes, even though there is iron and salt in my tap water?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Understandable, and I've never gone that long without a change. So overall you're saying I'm ok to start to commence larger water changes, even though there is iron and salt in my tap water?
The sooner the better!

If you want to really up your fish keeping success, make big & often water changes a religion.

Reactions: Mbielek

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Mbielek Mbielek
How long has this tank been running?

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
i started a 30 gallon with the fish i have now about 6 months ago, and then transfered all that water into a 75 that i purchased about 3 months ago. so the 75 has been running for 3 months.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store