We need to see these in the hobby

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Korean endemic micro-wels :)

I have had a 5-pack of S. asotus for 3.5 years now. They exhibit an attention-worthy interaction between themselves and sometimes with tank mates, namely swimming supposedly males swimming under females and pushing with their snouts on females' tummies.

They establish and enforce hierarchy too, viciously if needed.

In the first pic are mine, then some mating pics from FishBase:

Silurus, amur catfish.JPG Silurus, amur, from FishBase 1.jpg Silurus, amur, from FishBase.jpg

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Hmm, the main problem with that would be acquiring a group of them but that could be taken care of.
I’m assuming the ponds are well taken care of meaning there are no predators that are able to get them and they have regular wayer changes?
Wait are we talking about a fishkeepers pond or a normal pond that formed outside?
Microdorsalis would be a cool addition to a goldfish or proper native/temperate set up.
Fish found in Korea seem hardy in most aspects

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
Korean endemic micro-wels :)

I have had a 5-pack of S. asotus for 3.5 years now. They exhibit an attention-worthy interaction between themselves and sometimes with tank mates, namely swimming supposedly males swimming under females and pushing with their snouts on females' tummies.

They establish and enforce hierarchy too, viciously if needed.

In the first pic are mine, then some mating pics from FishBase:

View attachment 1352927 View attachment 1352928 View attachment 1352929
So how big are they, pcf says they max out at 40 inches but they look like your should be bigger if that were there max, Lovely fish I love all wels looking fish :)

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So how big are they, pcf says they max out at 40 inches but they look like your should be bigger if that were there max, Lovely fish I love all wels looking fish :)
Mine have been stuck around 1.5' for awhile. IDK why they don't grow anymore or maybe they do but its so slow, it is unnoticeable as time passes.

Thoroughly known max size doesn't mean they all will reach it, I think. I've been stuck at 6'2" for 30 years, despite the tallest humans hitting 7'-8'.

The debatable wels max is 5 meters = 16.5 feet but for a century or so no one seems to have seen and documented a wels of over 10'-11'. Most big ones are 8'-9'.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I knew wels could get huge. Never heard of the 16 feet debate.
But how awesome would it be to see a 16 + foot catfish.
I would equate it to seeing a Great White.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Max size in fish is often a hotly debated topic
Right but I wasn't talking anglers. Scientists debate the max size of wels. I remember reading one scientific paper not too long ago where an older paper, IIRC from the 19th century, is discussed in which was featured a photo of a large wels but upon close inspection it turns out to be a sturgeon.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Right but I wasn't talking anglers. Scientists debate the max size of wels. I remember reading one scientific paper not too long ago where an older paper, IIRC from the 19th century, is discussed in which was featured a photo of a large wels but upon close inspection it turns out to be a sturgeon.
Scientist debate max size a lot as well, I mean they debate giant squid max size,max size for crocodiles,gars, debates on what's the longest green anaconda or retic python,
Even debates on what max size means.
Notice that even in the smitsonians guide to reptiles they put the SAME max length for both retic and green anaconda, because otherwise the subject might get heated again

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Scientist debate max size a lot as well, I mean they debate giant squid max size,max size for crocodiles,gars, debates on what's the longest green anaconda or retic python,
Even debates on what max size means.
Notice that even in the smitsonians guide to reptiles they put the SAME max length for both retic and green anaconda, because otherwise the subject might get heated again
It’s pretty well understood that in the reptile hobby retics are the LONGEST snake species and green anaconda is the HEAVIEST snakes species. I’ve not seen any such debates in a long time.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store