Weird looking myleus wide bar

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
When looking online at Manueli Piranha the red color would usually be close to the eye. Here's some experienced fish keepers who may know!
duanes duanes tlindsey tlindsey kno4te kno4te Rocksor Rocksor Gourami Swami Gourami Swami

.C.J.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
When looking online at Manueli Piranha the red color would usually be close to the eye. Here's some experienced fish keepers who may know!
duanes duanes tlindsey tlindsey kno4te kno4te Rocksor Rocksor Gourami Swami Gourami Swami
Hi yes im not saying that its a manueli, im just saying that it kinda reminds me of one when i look at it bc of the body shape. Sorry for my bad english thats probably why you misunderstood what i said. But anyway thank you for your reply

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I am not seeing anything unusual -
You are showing two Myleus schomburgkii, a male and a female.
The one with the larger hook on the anal fin is a female, and she has some red spotting on the body The one with the bilobed anal fin (and no hook) is a male. His dorsal fin is thread-like some, which is not unusual. His anal fin is somewhat shredded, as if it has been nipped a bit by another fish, or if he may have been displaying and trying to breed with the female so much that his anal fin has become a little tattered. No big deal.
Nice, adult fish.
Their colors would deepen and show much nicer if you offered a dark background.
Beautiful fish!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d go with what fjb and duanes said.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have looked again at your fish, and wish to change my assessment -
I am not sure which of the two fish you were referring to, as "looking weird'. You did mention that you felt the red splotches didn't look like others you have seen.
The specimen with the long, red (black edged) hook in the anal fin, and the red splotches on the body, is not a female M. schomburgkii after all, but a female Myleus rubripinnis, aka, red hook silver dollar. I felt earlier it was a female M. schomburgkii, in error.
The male is a typical male M. schomburgkii, although that name is applied to what may be 2-3 (or more?) different taxa or varieties (wide bar, thin bar, blue hook).

Small red splotches on the sides of M. schomburgkii do occur, but are not that frequent. Large areas of red on the body (not as spots) are common when they are displaying. On the other hand, red spotting on M. rubripinnis is fairly standard for adult fish.
All together, and despite my previous statement, I believe you have a male and female of 2 different silver dollars. Again, very nice adult fish.

I believe K krichardson may be able to confirm this new id.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
It kinda looks like the the blotches is 3D battle scars on your male wide bar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store