Weird poop

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Thank you, will prazi be a good med? Was thinking of prazi and epsom salt?

It could be a dead pup that didn't form properly, I've seen something like this in a dog whose baby was dead.
But you stated that it's a male so this cannot be. It may be some part of the gut if it has not eaten something goofy that it could excete. Maybe get some meds and treat for internal digestive infections.
What meds kno4te kno4te Rocksor Rocksor ?

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Prazi is for parasites, I don't think it looks like a parasitic issue. But I could be wrong. Also, u want table salt, not epsom. Sorry I can't help more. Hope he starts eating for u again.

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Could soak food in epsom salt , garlic, prazi.
If it has issues with swimming, use table salt. ?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It could be a dead pup that didn't form properly, I've seen something like this in a dog whose baby was dead.
But you stated that it's a male so this cannot be. It may be some part of the gut if it has not eaten something goofy that it could excete. Maybe get some meds and treat for internal digestive infections.
What meds kno4te kno4te Rocksor Rocksor ?
Is it acting funny? Is it eating? Is it cont to have the same poop?

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Its not eating and the back is sunken, I'm beginning to suspect I've been sold a ray that accidentally ingested a barb. ?? so far the ray is not eating , whats weird is he ate when on day 1 and day 2, then just comitted or pooped out the undigested shrimps, then there was redish poop. So far i have not gotten him to eat again.

Any suggestions in case of ingested barb?

Is it acting funny? Is it eating? Is it cont to have the same poop?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Thank you. Couldn't figure that out. Lol. Matteus Matteus
Thank you for the tag.

I have been following along, I was really pondering about this. Not sure if I have much that would be helpful. I don’t have much personal experience with this issue yet

what I do know is that rays have a hard time digesting their food due to their osmoregularity being off.(ability to convert salt within their bloodstream?) This means that when they poop, often it looks just like whatever they ate. So if you feed them pellets, the stool will be the same colour as the pellets, if you feed prawns and fish as suggested the stool should be a lighter greyish colour.

Some have suggested ingested barb, I have heard of many keepers finding a dead ray that they opened up post mortem to find a barn ingested. But I have not heard of them manually extracting them unless it is protruding the skin. Often barbs do protrude and need to be pulled through, which I have seen done successfully (right through their head) a few times. I hope for the ray, and your sake that their isn’t a barb buried within the ray.

if I were to take a stab in the dark I suspect it could be an internal infection in which case antibiotics would be the cure. I’m not sure what is available to you locally but you will need to act immediately if the back is sunken in and hips are showing.

you will need to get it eating something ASAP or else it may not last long. Try live black worms, night crawlers, live bearers, ghost shrimp etc. Use metal tongs to hold it down if the ray is too weak to hunt on its own. Basically if it doesn’t eat, it won’t live.

hth GL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store