MFK Member
Jul 15, 2020
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi everyone, I recently have been noticing these spots on the disk of my male Pearl stingray. Please see photos. Any idea what could cause this? He is eating just fine, and there is no sign of aggression between him and his tank mates. It should be noted that he is currently housed with a Black diamond male, a green phantom pleco (quite small), a parrot cichlid and a jack Dempsey. They have never caused trouble and have been kept with stingrays their entire lives. The 2 stingrays are around the same age at 2.5 years old. See below for water parameters and tank size.

Tank size:
180 gal 4'x4'x1.5' (l-w-h) **Note: This is a grow out and quarantine tank only. A 24 square foot aquarium will be his final home once I identify his health issues.
Filter: 2x sumps approximately 100 gallons

Cleaning process: 30% water change every week as a minimum, sometimes replaced with a 20% twice a week.

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: Around 10ppm (Treating for this currently with 30% water changes every other day, as it is abnormally high. Although these spots showed up even when nitrates were 0ppm)
Nitrite: 0ppm
temperature: 78-80F
Phosphates: 2 (this is being treated for, as my area's phosphate level in water fluctuates)

FAQ:
- yes I use water conditioner (prime), so it should not be a chlorine related issue

20210330_134353.jpg

20210330_134400.jpg

20210330_134404.jpg

20210330_134408.jpg

20210330_134414.jpg

thegonzo

Feeder Fish
Dec 29, 2023
hey, do you have update on your rays? i think i'm facing a same problem too... i'd like to know what you've done to cure it (if they are cured)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store