Weld-on #40 and #42

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I use weld-on #4 quite a bit at work for gluing acrylic award bases on acrylic awards, great product.

Reactions: amazontank

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
You still have the dozen tanks going bro?
You saved me so many times over the years especially with that 720 8x3x4 with the 3/4" acrylic.
Thanks for all your advice bro over the years!
Many of your post should be sticky!

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
You still have the dozen tanks going bro?
You saved me so many times over the years especially with that 720 8x3x4 with the 3/4" acrylic.
Thanks for all your advice bro over the years!
Many of your post should be sticky!

20170514_005251.jpg
Thanks for kind words, im still around lol... 8 decent sized tanks running atm and a few other smalls totaling around 3,000gal. Not as much as i used to have but i do hope to finish my final 3k build one of these days.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
is there a good way to mix a small amount ? the kit I bought says to dump the whole hardener into the entire quart. I wouldn't be able to use the whole amount before it sets up.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
is there a good way to mix a small amount ? the kit I bought says to dump the whole hardener into the entire quart. I wouldn't be able to use the whole amount before it sets up.
u can weigh out ur glue hardner with a digital scale or use measuring cups/spoons. The ratio should be in the fine print. i wanna say its 100 to 1 but im not positive.

Reactions: BichirKing

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Do you think it is ok to use a rouph cut acrylic piece, glued in with weld-on 40. It would be with in a 1/16" gap.

The tank is going to be a sump. So ugly is somewhat ok.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Do you think it is ok to use a rouph cut acrylic piece, glued in with weld-on 40. It would be with in a 1/16" gap.

The tank is going to be a sump. So ugly is somewhat ok.

Ive used #40 on material right off the table saw, no prep. Cut quickly with a good blade made for finishing and u'll be fine. If you go too slow the material will heat up and foul the edge and need to be sanded/prepped further. U can fill up to a 1/4" gap with #40 also... They actually do just that when butt joining sheets together. U may need to tape the seams as you go to hold the glue in place tho as its a syrup consistency. Tape the back end of the seam completly off 1st, use a squirt type bottle or empty/new chaulk tube to kinda inject the glue from the bottom up while taping it in the gap at the same time if ur working vertically. May be easier to flip the tank as ur working on it also. Just keep in mind the glue does not stay put like silicone. Tape removes fairly well from the glue once hardened. Plan out ur steps/seams. Can do 1 at a time. The #40 will bond to itself unlike silicone and has a working time/pot life around 10-20 minutes depending on amt, hardner and climate.

Reactions: markstrimaran
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store